Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew.....I think I am finally finished "accessorizing" my pontoon boat. By "accessories" I am referring to items that will help me handle and store my boat.

Completed projects include my jon boat trailer adaptation, a cart for "wheelbarrowing" the boat when no ramp is available and a storage cart for the tubes in an inflated or semi-inflated state.

Here's the boat (Skookum steelheader 10') sitting on my trailer (a jon boat trailer adapted to carry a pontoon boat):

Here's the trailer "sans-boat". The key to this "make-over" was finding the pontoon "V-brackets".

Closer look at the "V-brackets":

Here's my "wheelbarrow" cart. Made from PVC and a couple of lawnmower type wheels I bought at Lowes. The key to this design was finding a couple of "caster-plugs" at a PVC fittings place online. The rest of the materials were all things readily available at the hardware store ("tee's" and elbow joints and 1.25" PVC). These caster plugs allow a 3/8" bolt to pass through their centers snugly and cradle/support the "bolt/axle". I used a nylon lock nut to secure the axle bolt and was able to fine tune the tension on the bolt to eliminate wheel wobble while letting the wheel spin freely.

Closer look at the "caster plug" (the caster plugs are inserted into both ends of the "Tee joint"...the axle bolt slides through the wheel and then through the caster plugs and then is secured with a stainless/nylon locking nut (any hardware store has it))):

And finally, my tube storage cart. I've been advised to store the tubes in an inflated state (really wanted to fold or roll them up, but I learned that PVC tends to develop pin holes when you do this). I came up with this design as a way to use the same straps that I lash the frame to the tubes with. The cart also serves as a storage place for other straps, oars and anchor rope. I can store it easily in my garage under a set of wall cabinets and it will take very little room (rough dimensions are 22" deep x 48" high x 96" long- made to hold my 10' x 20" tubes...YMMV). I used 6 of the the same "caster plugs" on the bottom of this rack and added 6 casters so I can easily roll it around the garage or into my heated/air condition workshop if need be. Because each of the casters swivels 360 degrees the cart can easily be moved in any direction.

I used the same online PVC fittings supply site for this project. The key here was finding 3,4 and 5 way joints...doubt you'd find those at Lowes. Both PVC projects were done with 1.25" Sched 40 PVC. Total cost for the storage cart project was around $100 (the casters added around 1/3 of the cost).

Here's the frame (mounted on a simple cleat on the garage wall):

And the frame and tube cart:

I think the beauty of this system is that when I want to go...I just back the trailer into the garage, plop the tubes into the bunks, top them off with some air, lift the frame off the wall mount and onto the tubes, strap them down and go. I like the idea that I am able to work with things at waist/chest height...no bending over (at my age, this is getting to be a big deal).

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
That is awesome. You've got issues though man, so much neat and orderly storage. A place for everything and everything in its place. If my wife ever sees this series of photos and puts your organizational skills against my chaos we're gonna have to have words. What size are your tubes and what is the total weight of your boat? I like the V pontoon rails. I might like to have something like that for inside my utilty trailer for mine so that I can slide things under the boat onto the trailer floor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is awesome. You've got issues though man, so much neat and orderly storage. A place for everything and everything in its place. If my wife ever sees this series of photos and puts your organizational skills against my chaos we're gonna have to have words. What size are your tubes and what is the total weight of your boat? I like the V pontoon rails. I might like to have something like that for inside my utilty trailer for mine so that I can slide things under the boat onto the trailer floor.
I know...when you are retired you have the luxury of dreaming up things like this.

The boat is a 10'er and the tubes are 20" or so in diameter. I think total weight of boat is around 80 pounds.

The pontoon V brackets are from Overtons (about $15/bracket).

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Very impressive!
Some friendly, courteous observations from another retiree;

1. Either you have too much money, or, you don't have enough money.
2. You have too much "free" time.
3. You have a "repressed garage and storage syndrome".
4. Either you don't drink, you dont drink enough, or, you drink too much.
5. Your women neighbors aren't hot.
6. Your "better half" nags at you constantly and you retreat to the garage for solace.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm currently on number 4.
(seriously...very nice, indeed.:thumb:)

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
How does your pontoon sit on that cart? To me, it looks like the padded parts should be rotated 90 degrees.
Sorry, I just lack the imagination... I'd love to copy it if I understood it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone asked for a link to the PVC fittings source I used. I found several companies that make PVC fittings for projects/furniture (which present a different set of issues than plumbing jobs typically would)...this is the one I've used for both of my projects:

http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=8488228.27454&product=PVC-PIPE-SCH40-15inch

Someone else asked for help with building a wheel cart like this one. I found a very detailed plan online and modified it to suit my needs. Here's a link to the plan: http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/content/building-pvc-kayak-cart

One of the key differences between this plan and mine is how I developed the axle. His plan calls for some pretty fancy hole drilling in a curved piece of PVC to create the mounting hole for the axle (he used threaded rod...I used a 7" x 3/8" galvanized bolt). I found these "caster plugs" that slip into the end of a 1.25" PVC fitting and already have a perfect 3/8" hole in them. It made the whole axle mounting process a breeze...no hole drilling (which I think would have been pretty fussy work). If you look back up at my pictures you can see a closeup of the caster plug and how the bolt runs through it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does your pontoon sit on that cart? To me, it looks like the padded parts should be rotated 90 degrees.
Sorry, I just lack the imagination... I'd love to copy it if I understood it.
Stewart,

Good question. When I built this I had to first decide how it was going to mount to my cataraft. I decided that it should mount under the rear platform. This way I'd be able to grab the frame by the front section (this would be the "wheelbarrow handles") and wheel it around. Maybe these picture will help...took them with just the cart and my frame to make it clearer how thing works (adding the tubes wouldn't change anything).

I guess I could have configured this so that the tubes would have been directly supported by the cart...but that would have increased the size of the cart considerably and that would not have met my needs.

You can see from these pics how I routed the straps through the PVC. Also, this shows how you'd be able to grab the front part of the frame, lift it off the ground and create your "wheelbarrow". Note: The white PVC pipe under the front is just to hold it off the ground for the sake of these pictures...it doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might have a future in making that wheel thingamajiggy apparatus...looks like a great addition to get to the water when you don't have a road. I don't have a flux capacitor that runs on garbage yet.
Thanks, but there are a number of commercially made devices that are quite similar to this one. I decided to build my own because a) I had the time, tools, shop and the skills b) I wanted to be sure it would fit my frame and c) I saved a few bucks (but not a lot!). Oh yeah...d) it was fun!

Keep working on that flux capacitor...there's a huge a market for time travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.