Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone uses a portable fish finder on their pontoons or float tubes for detecting depth the fish are cruizin at and temps and what ever else?? If so any reccomendations for brands models or places to get good deals on them??

Thanks,

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
353 Posts
i use a fishin buddy i bought from cabellas- it works well to mark the depth and the temp- i do not think it marks the fish (i know alot of the time it says there is a fish bellow and there isn't)-

in general i have been pleased- initially i had to send it back twice because it didn't work right- it also makes an anoying beep that i have not figured out how to turn off when it marks a "fish".

I like to use it to mark depth- it adds another dimension.

I have been happy with it - I do wonder what other brands/models people are using.

mike

G

·
IveofIone
Patrick, I use the Fishing Buddy II since it is about the only one that is portable enough to use on a tube or pontoon. It is valuable for depths and drop offs and temperature differentials but just about useless as a fish finder. The fish finder alarm can be turned off so the unit is completely silent-the preferred mode indeed. The manual is lame and doesn't give concise instructions so operation is not as straight forward as it should be. I have called the factory on this and asked for a video or upgraded instructions but they say that what I have is what I get. Still a lot better than not knowing if you are in 8' of water or 80'. Ive

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was watching "OLN" on cable the other day and the was a comercial at showed a two piece fish finder. the first piece looked like your typical fish finder screen, but the other part was way cool. it looked to be maybe 2in in size and you cast it like a lure. however, it floated on the top of the water and sent back the images to the screen unit. looked very portable to me....

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I've seen the same add and wondered how that would compare to a standard fish finder. They advertise it as sometime that you would cast out on your line, a gear setup, to find fish from the bank. Looks pretty cool, but I don't know how much it is.

Bill

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
<forward for Tangles>

The "Smartcast" unit by Hummingbird now offers a little floating sensor you cast out, then you get a readout on "wristmount" disply (looks like a watch). It has 75 ft. radius and 100 ft. depth capability. For more info go to hummingbird.com. Should work well for deep fish. I think you'd scare anything shallow away with the splash from the sensor.

Pretty slick though.

Tangles

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Do you really need a portable on a pontoon? I was thinking of mounting something permanent if I don't have to bring a car battery. I saw that hummingbird on TV too. You sure wouldn't want to use it around Steelhead, unless it could see sideways.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
51 Posts
Patrick,
Do you really need to bring a monitor onto the water? I wonder if a fish finder adds or takes away from the experience of fly fishing lakes. As a young'n I fished puget sound for kings, silvers and the like and thought that the fish finder we had on board was the coolest. Every beep added to the anticipation and motivated us to stay out longer with our herring dangling below. And we felt the little gadget was necessary to let us know if the fish were schooling or running through. However, lakes always hold fish, so part of the fun is learning to read the lake and find the fish. There is no sweeter feeling than figuring out where the fish are located after much toil, sweat and several clinch knots. Then, as your reel sounds off indicating "fish-on," another angler kicks by with an envious look.
I realize that our equipment is the product of technological advancements, but I think that I will draw the line at a Fish Finder.
If you would like to head out to a desert lake or a W. Wa lake we can see if we can find fish without the monitor. You've had several questions regarding chironomids, we can fish them and I'll share all that I know.

Final point before I hop off the soap box: If fishing were easy, if anybody could scurry onto a lake and land fish after fish, we would get bored.
-Let me know if you want to go.
-Adam

:thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Adam...more than anything I guess I was curious as to how many actually used one and if so did it help much?? Personally I find that in the old days of bass fishing it would irritate me more than anything just cause you knew the fish were there but you couldnt catch them :beathead . Honestly I probably wont go out and purchase one because my lake fishing time is second to my moving water time. Dont get me wrong cause lake fishing can be awesome but right now my element and passion is with moving water.

Yes we should hook up sometime and do some fishing so I can learn ALL your secrets ;)

Thanks all for the insight :thumb :thumb

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I've used fish finders in the past, though they weren't mine. Several years ago, I went fishing with a friend up around Neah Bay, and did very well. Whenever I saw a big fish icon appear, I'd cast back over where we were when the finder went off, and I'd aways come up with a fish. This caused my friend to trade places with me. Oddly, he wasn't as successful. Last October I was over at Dry Falls, and a guy in a float tube had a fish finder with him. I think it was a Fishing Buddy. What he was doing was to anchor up where he was marking fish and start fishing a chironomid pattern on a full sink line. The day was slow for most, but he was up to his 14th (it was either late morning or early afternoon) by the time I asked permission to join him a cast length away. His method was to cast, doze off, and wake up when he got a strike. This bearded-one's method was awe-inspiring! It reminded me of the old Zen Master who would take a nap in the middle of his own lectures. Anyway, Margaret came up with the first fish, a brown, and I caught the next two, they being rainbows. Lacking in the numbers, the +16" size of these fish made up for things. :thumb The point here is that, just because you see the fish doesn't mean it will be like shooting them in a barrel. :professor

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Saw one of these today $179.00 at Hook,Line,and Sinker in Arlington. Kinda neat if you got About 2 bills to spend and still not get any fish. If all you do is catch and release why would you need a fish finder. :dunno

Jim

Edit: I'm sorry but I didn't get the name, Was just looking when I saw it.:beathead :beathead

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.