Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning ahead a little bit for Memorial Day weekend. Does anybody know anything about the Potholes/Seep Lakes area? I know it's more of a warm water fishery, but I saw somewhere that Quail Lake is fly fishing only, with big rainbows. Is this still the case?

And what about camping? I'd like to avoid the crowds at the state park, if possible....

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tom,
Haven't fished Quail in years, the last couple times I did was slow for good sized bows. Been a neat lake, used to have browns, then Atlantic salmon for a while, now just bows as far as I know ( and I don't know much). At times it has had real pigs in it. Lots of lakes with trout in em of some sorts. Camping, not sure anymore ( don't live nearby now) but used to be LOTS of spots to camp around, have seen folks campng at the trailhead into Quail... one lake I walked into two years ago, don't recall name, take main road that goes north(?) past Quail,you will pass a couple other lakes, these all have trout by the way, then you will come to the canal. Park just before you cross the canal, walk to your right (down the canal) lake is just a little ways, got some nice plump fish there on and int line with some #12 peacock herl nymphs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wrench,

Thanks for the info. I've heard other stories about the area, such as huge mosquitos, rattlesnakes, Lyme-disease ticks, gun-totin' drug dealers... But it sounds minimal,and the area just sounds too interesting to pass up.

What do you know about boat access? I have an 8' pontoon boat which is somewhat portable, but not much good if I need to walk more than 100' to get on the water. I wonder if I could float down that canal....

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tom,
Floating down that canal not advised for mortal men. Not sure how you would ever stop and get out again. Is probably more than a half mile to that lake by the canal. Several of the lakes around Quail have road access. The large lake beside the road before you get to the canal has bows and a few browns. The easy way to Quail with a boat is to put in at Herman (?) lake, right by the trialhead, fish your way around the point, you will find a bay with a tiny swampy creek dumping in, drag boat maybe 100' up alongside crick to quail. Another lake that used to have nice fish is Canal, just on the other side of the canal. Not very many, but real pigs. Then Sage lakes, over next to Long lake (up the canal a short ways from bridge) used to have tiger trout and a few nice bows, jeepers, water trout and fish everywhere. There are ratlesnakes, not as many as there used to be I don't think. Ticks can be terrible some years and absent some too. While probably not the safest plac to camp in the state, I wouldn't worry about it, I have spent many nights there in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Reading your post sent me digging into my collection of magazines. The fall 2000 issue of Northwest Fly Fishing has an article on the Seep Lakes by John Shewey. I remembered reading the article and putting the Seep Lakes on my "places to fish" list but I never seem to make it past the Yakima or the Nunnally/Lenice area.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Next time you get to Nunnally or Lenice and there are so many tubers on them that they remind you of a bowl of cheerios, get back in your car and continue east on I-90 to the seeps. A little walking will get you away from most people and you'll find that many of the lakes carry much bigger fish than you would have ever thought. Most of these fish have not seen much if anything in the way of flies and rarely does anyone pack in a float tube so you've usually got them all to yourself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have fished the Seeps quite a bit, I have never had any problems that exist there that others have written about. What I have noticed is that the Seeps really seem to be on a cycle, fish one lake one year and it is fantastic and only average the next. Lots of nice water that can really hold some hogs. Very fun to explore and see what lakes hold what fish. Almost all lakes will have trout. I have had very good luck fishing Goldeneye, Windmill, Quail, Sage, Katy, Teal and Falcon in the past 5 years with each one being very good for at least one season. Bottom line here is to explore, half the fun is finding which lake is gonna be good that year.

I have had my pontoon or float tube in each of these lakes. Some require a small hike, some u can drive to, better ones are usually after a small hike. Most times I get to fish these lakes by myself. Go to Mardon Resort and u can buy a decent map of the seeps for around a buck.

One of the lakes I mentioned had the most scuds I have ever seen in a lake. We (Wife and I) got out of the lake and our waders were completely covered with scuds, wiggeling with life, I thought it was cool, wife didnt so much. That did explain the huge football size fish we caught all evening long tho.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Why? :dunno Why give away the farm? Hopefully thousands will see what you wrote and next time I'm at Goldeneye I can fish with lots of people. Can't wait. Thanks.
You say "go exploring"???? No need, you might as well of drawn a map. Great.:thumb If half the fun is finding it, why give it away? :dunno YT:reallymad

·
Registered
187 Posts
Listing 7 lakes and saying that each have fished good in the last 5 years is that really "giving away the farm"? Actually if you look at our 2 posts I think yours is gives away a little more than mine. And Fishing and Hunting News has recenty posted a map to over half of the lakes I mentioned, including Goldeneye. I didnt mention a single lake that I would consider a secret gem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you Kidding? None - none of the seep lakes are unknown. Fact is most people don't want to walk. And in many cases drive the extra hour each way from the west side to fish them. This is an informational web site where people share their knowledge. If you don't want to share fine but don't give others crap for doing it and giving something to the community from which they also take information.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
None of these are secret lakes. The fact is that even if people are sure there are big fish in these lakes, they seldom take the trouble to go there when they have Lenice, Nunally, Lenore and Dry Falls. I wouldn't worry about naming lakes few will ever fish.

Randy

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
BUT WHY broadcast this on the internet? Why tell people "hay, skip lenice, come to the seeps"? With that kind of thinking these little fragile lakes will last for about a week. They are not exactly secrets, but not exactly known either. I bet half the people reading this had no idea. If I read this and had no idea about the seeps, and you said, "big big fish" I would be out the door in a hurry. Why tell people on a public board about this? Tell your buddies, tell your friends. Thanks a lot. YT

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm all for expertise and Knowledge, but why tell the world about the places YOU like to fish? Wouldn't that jepardize YOUR opportunity to catch fish their? YT:thumb

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will repeat what I have said before. What is the difference betwene tellin people how to and telling the where to? Both give the person information on how they can catch more or bigger fish. For either to work the information must be used. If not used - so what? For example - Rocky Ford. Everyone knows it is there - not everyone know how to catch the fish. But, a lot of the people on this site who hate it when people give out the where are completely ok with giving out the how to catch Rocky Ford Fish when the end result is really the same. Success brings people out and back, further and more often. Both the how to and where to increase success. So - same result?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
No!!!!! The "how to" is fine, let people figure out where on their own. Tell the new guys, go to the ford, go to lenice, have fun, you'll catch fish. The seeps can't handle every tom, dick, and harry fishing the hell out of them. Most lakes get like 200 to 300 fish plants a year, if any. Most of the plants will get picked off then they are young, by birds, bigger fish, other fish. It's not like Lenice, they get what? 15,000? Just because some magazine writes an article doesn't meen it's o.k. These lakes are small intimate waters. One or two people on a lake is it. Question? If you fish a lake, and have it all to yourself, why go online and spill your guts about it? I say let the masses hound Lenice, Hound the ford. have at it. talk freely about it. But these other places, lets at least TRY to preserve what we have. Stop the spoon feeding, please? Send a PM. OR an e-mail. At least make an effort. :beathead YT
"can't we all just get along?" NO.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
There was an article on seeps in NW Flyfishing a while ago (at every magazine stand and bookstore in the PNW). Did that article destroy the fishing? A lot more people read that article, than this one post.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I think some people do share a little too much sometimes. But it's usualy inoccent and draws little if any attention.

The posts that catch attention (including mine) are the ones like:
"XYZ lake report - caught so many fish my arms hurt!!!"

And the other ones that draw big attention:
Poster 1: "Anyone have any recent reports from XYZ river?"
Poster 2: "Hey you idiot - you just gave away my favorite zipperlip. I fish that every day and always have the whole river to myself and catch tons of huge fish. Now you just ruined it by posting the name for all to see!!"

I know where I'll go fishing next time...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I hope you catch as many fish as I caught at Goldeneye. Seriously. Fact is, are these lakes great? maybe. changes every year. It's the point of it all, not the place. You'd think after 4 posts, people would figure that out. Come on, I'm way more savvy then that. Fact is, Seeps doesn't even make my top 5 zipper lips. Not even close. It's just that sooner or later, somebody will post about a place on my top 5. When what? Gotta nip this in the bud, now before we go to far. Seeps are not Secret. I'll say it again, NOT a secret. It's the spoon feeding all the info. Not just the guy that said those 7 lakes, the whole thread. Didn't the guy that started this ask about camping and Quail? Not every little detail one can describe. Is that why you flyfish? Are a macho stud that must beat his chest to prove his worthyness? I don't enjoy this site so I can have you tell me where to go. How to fish. how to be cool. I'm not in it for that. You don't see this crap on other websites? do you? DO YOU? I guess you people just wouldn't understand. sad. I do have a purpose in speaking out. I hope you can figure it out so we can move on. I'm done with this thread. See ya!!! YT:smokin

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Don't leave yet as I feel like I have to add something to the fire. Those lakes have been there for a long time and they are still spitting out fish. I have fished them before you were born and you will probably fish them after I'm gone. There is nothing secret about the seep lakes. Just go to Mar Don and they will give you the scoop on any of them. I don't know why you get so up tight about them lakes. Now if you find a place out away from every thing you can keep quiet about it.

I have a few places that I go that I wouldn't tell you about unless you plied me with suds.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with you on this one CHADK. While I can kind of sympathize with ******, he should have responded with his concerns in a PM himself. I wasn't really interested until he got all upset, and actually named Goldeneye. I had read some things on Seep Lakes before, but know you all have caught my interest with your OPEN heated debate!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.