Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help. I have been float-tubing in lakes for a while but want a pontoon boat so that I can also start hitting a few of rivers occasionally. I am thinking somewhere in the 400 - 700 dollar range. I know there are a lot of people out there with pontoon boats and would welcome any suggestions.

Bill

· Rebel, Truth Seeker
112 Posts
I recently purchased a 9' Trout Unlimited Pontoon boat from Cabella's. I haven't had a chance to take it on any skinny water, but I've had it out on a few lakes and it was great. It's not a narrow pontooned boat, it's large, so it's a bit combersome when it comes to loading and unloading, but it keeps you high on the water and it's fixed seat (as opposed to Mesh) kept me comfortable for most of a day. It cost $500 and I don't have any regrets about buying it.

123 Posts
I bought a "Columbia Trout Unlimited" pontoon boat. It looks cool and the one time I had it on the water it was very comfortable. It is fairly heavy and I had major problems with the 4 valves. Never had all 4 seated correctly at the same time (it leaked air -- not good) and after about 20 tries, I quit and returned the boat. If you decide on this one, you can also get it at "Sportsmans Guide . com" for $400. I know from experience that Sportsmans Guide will back up their 100% unconditional guarantee.

After returning it, I bought a creek company "odc 816" from Outdoor Emporium in downtown Seattle for $320. You can get the same one from Cabela's for $300. It's about half as heavy. If the mesh seat doesn't work, I'll just figure out how to mount a padded hard plastic seat on it.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, thank you for the input. It helps a lot. There a couple of the suggestted boats that I have looked at on line that caught my attention. I will drop a report after I have had the boat for a couple of trips.

Bill :beer2

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Last fall, I had the holy beejangers scared out of me on the Bogachiel. Really low water. Each rapid was a nightmare in this skinny water because the drops were sharp and the rocks were everwhere.
My boat was an Outcast 8' (about $400 from Cabelas if my memory serves me). I was socked so hard and so often I was wishing for the mouthpiece I had when I played football (linebacker). It would not have surprised me if the tubing (welded steel) broke into a thousand pieces because I almost did. Boat still in great shape.
One caution: if you weigh more than two hundred, you should consider a 10' model. Yea, it weighs more and yea, it is heavier and more costly. But you want to float safely at all costs, especially if you add an electric motor and a battery (this is just too slick). Remeber, pontooons take a lot of effort to go a mile; they don't row like a boat..
Bob:thumb
P.S. If anyone is reading this and has a 10' model anything and you might want to trade down to an 8' Outcast with a very handsome mahogony transom for an electric motor and battery, give me an e-mail. I'm one of the suckers that is born every minute. You can probably scam me for nothing.

· "Chasing Riseforms"
4,861 Posts
Have you or anyone seen the FishCat 9? I was considering buying a pontoon also. It is at GI JOE"s for $499. If you sign for a credit card or are over 55, you can get a 10% discount. It looked pretty fair to me. Anyone familiar?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.