Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple sessions with this rod now; getting ready for summer run to start. I'm relatively new to this 2 handed game, grain of salt rule and all; but I've cast a number of different rods and have a decent perspective to provide (me thinks anyway)

• This thing is fast, really fast. If you like deep loading at a relaxed pace move along; not the rod for you...
  • It's relentlessly unforgiving if you cut a corner, set a bad anchor, use too much top hand or....; this stick doesn't suffer fools. I didn't use live ammo with my first outings. I slapped my a$$ and the back of my jacket with a piece of yarn more than once until I got the feel and timing down.
  • Even though the rod is very fast, there really is good feedback all the way through to the the base of the rod when you load it right and cast it correctly.
  • I cast my first scandi line with it. For me that's where this rod really shines so far. Effortless, line speed, mojo, tight loops are the words that come to mind. I broke the 100' mark for the first time. I honestly didn't think I was out past 70'; it just seemed to easy.
  • Does not handle relatively heavy hardware ( at least for me ) as well as my 8 wt 11-6 switch. I might just need to get things dialed in. I had a 550gr skagit short (20') with a 12' OPST sink tip (132gr) tossing a lightly weighted rabbit fur fly. Never got it out past 75', which is more than fishable but the casts were inconsistent. I have no doubt the rod will handle reasonable 'junk' in the right hands., but I'll need to get things dialed in: find the right head/tip combos and work on my technique if I plan to use it for that game
Anyone else own this rod, have any thought insights? What lines/tips are you using? Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input all. jake-e-boy, 480gr seems light for this rod; but that's based on the RIO recommendations; not experience. So far, in my search to dial in a sakgit line in for it I'm moving down in weight. Maybe the scout will be the deal.

Hit the pond again Sunday.
-- Casting the scandi head on this rod is a hoot. If I do my job right the line just flies like a javelin. I did have some problems with colliding loops. My guess is that I'm breaking the 180 degree rule. I'm going to set up a private lesson with an instructor.
-- I played with a 525gr x 23' skagit max head and 12' of t-11. That's right in the middle of the grain window for this rod. I'm still not getting the timing for skagit heads, but this setup worked much better than the 550gr head.

·
Inactive
1,974 Posts
I would think a 480-510 Skagit would be right on the money, no xp with said rod though. If you have the option to I would "test drive" a few different lines and grain weights, personally I like airflo and SA lines over rio

·
Registered
99 Posts
On my 2nd. First stolen. I prefer a long 50-60' line. I usually go for the heavier line in each line size, but I tried a 6/7 and was pleasantly surprised. It was light and effortless, you could tell it wasn't bending as much but I didn't notice any loss of distance. I practice a lot, I mark my line from 75' then every 15'. I've quit using yarn, using it with nothing on the end lets you know if your timing is screwed up or too much effort for the cast, you'll hear the SNAP! It'll tear up the end of your leader but who cares, it's giving you feed back during practice.
For a guy using a long line the rod is an ideal summer floating line rod. Single spey with a reach mend, can't beat it.
Casting Matters What kind of cast was the collision loop. Anchor placement? (bloody L)?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info skinner. I haven't thrown anything longer than the 38 foot scandic with mine. Do you have a favorite long belly line for yours? Do you toss skagit heads at all or 'scandits'(airflo rage)

The colliding loop is on a switch cast. It could be the anchor but it looks like the loop isn't stacked vertically.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not a line junky, I don't like to be manipulated by the Industry. I started with a DT, winter-summer didn't matter, difficult but rewarding. They won't make them anymore. It's a sore subject with me. I don't have a lot of patience stripping running line back in. The DT had a lot of unique abilities. Oh well......
A 50 footer would be a good line to start with if one had no experience with longer lines. Manufacturer doesn't matter.
I use a shooting head with a single-handed rod.
Now the collision loop. It should be easy to fix on the switch or jump cast. Your anchor should be straight with that cast so rule that out. Now the 180 deg. rule is another thing, especially if you've brushed your head with the D loop. Given that you've got your rod canted it makes sense that your doing what they call "over rotating". Using the clock face, you're stopping your rod too far back like at 5:00. Try letting your D fall to the surface and checking it out. Try stopping at 4
Of course a short head maybe somewhere like 1:30 I can't speak for that.
Another point, when your casting with a canted rod, if you start with your rod pointing down your line 12:00 it's hard to get your back cast or D to 6:00. Casting vertically overhead yea , side arm no. I learned that on the grass at the park. So with any side arm delivery start with the rod at the 1:00 position. Try it, Gasworth says start your single spey with your rod pointed out over the river.
Stacked vertically? Probably a high stop. This isn't a fault. Same thing if you made a side arm delivery, the stop would be on the same vertical plane giving you a vertical loop. Good thing to be able to do when casting on a small stream to the far bank under the trees. Or when you find yourself under the trees. 2 places come immediately to my mind. For the most part try a lower stop.
A few years ago I was burglarized several times. They wait for you to replace all your stuff then hit you again. Ironically, though I lost a lot of Sage and Winston rods and Hardy reels I most regret the loss of my lines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cast a friends with a 480 or 500 grain skagit and 10 feet of whatever, the rod was great, out to 100 plus feet which is well beyond most fishing distances but was fun. I think just about every double handed rod made in the last 10 years including switch can cast at those distances with good technique. Just my thoughts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.