Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair two years ago,and I still have a problem with glare on the lenses. It is like glare from headlights. Does anyone here have any solutions? I am going to try a an anti glare coating on the lenses if it can be put on. If not,does anyone have any suggestions other then contacts and regular polarized sunglasses?:dunno

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my prescription polarized sunglasses. I don't think there is a way to fix it- Incidently, I had a very high prescription, both eyes around 20/1000. The anti-glare coating helps, but not completely.

I'm now at 20/20 follow lasik last Thursday... I highly recomend it! :thumb

G

·
IveofIone
I have been fishing with prescription polaroid bifocals for many years now with no glare problems. The ones I use are Bolle wraparound models and they have very wide side frames with windows in them. No sunlight can get in around these glasses so the glare that usually kills your eyes with conventional frames is absent. It took over $300 to have these made but the relief I experienced was worth it. I recently had a new pair of lightweight conventional glasses made with anti-glare coating and bought a pair of amber Fitovers to wear on cloudy days. The Fitovers are nice and very comfortable but don't completly block the sun out from the sides like the Bolles do.
I spent many years of my life mountaineering and backpacking, mostly above 10,000'. The combination of UV and glare off of the snow coming in behind the lenses would quickly bloodshot the eyes without good protection. In those days I used prescription mountaineering goggles with leather side shields that fit snugly against the side of the head. Such glasses are probably still available from places like REI and could easily be fitted with prescription polaroids. A good flyfishing hat with a long wide bill will help some and an added bonus is the flap that protects the back of the neck that is usually included.
I guess the test for reducing glare is to take your present glasses out in the sunlight and cup your hands around the sides and top to block out all of the extraneous sunlight. Things will look sharper and better focused when you do this and that is the job you want your new glasses to do-block out all light except what comes directly through the lens. Find some glasses that do this and your eyes will thank you for it. Ive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.