Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fly fishing Ore., Wash., Ida., for about 50 yrs. mostly on foot. Consequently, I dont have much experience wearing waders in a boat. I recently bought a Creek Co. 8' pontoon boat for lake fishing. As far as waders, I have Simms Goretex and Cabela's 3mm. neoprene both pairs are stocking foot. My question is, are there some dos and don'ts concerning waders and foot wear while fishing in a pontoon boat? How important is a waist cinch strap?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Stick with the Simms. You'll be more comfy year around. If you're not doing a lot of wading, but wearing fins, wear the most comfy foot gear possible. Cheap flats booties work fine.

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
Does and don'ts... don't walk in fins if you can help it. Some folks wear fins that go over their wading boots and some use dive fins that just go over the neoprene foot. The waders themselves don't matter much other than comfort since not much of your leg is in the water. I always wear a wading belt on lakes or rivers.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
In the summer, I don't wear waders at all. I have neoprene booties on my feet; they keep my feet warm and keep the straps of my fins from rubbing my foot raw. Shorts are just fine; you aren't suspended in the water in a pontoon boat. A down-side is that if the lake that you are fishing has lots of ducks and snail, the lake may have schistosome parasites. The larval stage is attracted to the warmth of bare skin. They cause swimmer's itch - feels like really nasty mosquito bits, as the parasitic larva tries to burrow into your blood, but it is killed by your immune system. In the spring / fall, I wear my neoprene-foot breathables.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.