Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On recommendations from folks on this board I sent my 8134 Z to Bob for his "ready to wrap" treatment. Got the rod back today and WOW it looks stunning. He also spent time on the phone with me talking through various recommendations he had for me as I finish the rod.

From start to finish he was he helpful and professional. His work is outstanding.

I've only owned/built sage rods for the last 15 years, my next rod will be a Meiser.

Thanks Bob!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I love my Meiser rod. Bob warned me if I was expecting to get the Z-axis feel I'd be disappointed, but if I just took the time to enjoy the rod I would be very pleased. At first, Yes I was displeased with the action, but after a week or so on the water, remembering what Bob had said, I came to really enjoy the rods feel.

Marcel, I only mention this because I own a couple of z-axis rods and have fished predominatly with Sage rods; when you make the switch to Meiser Rods in the future keep an open mind and listen to the rod's needs and you'll find them every bit of a pleasure to cast as a Z-axis.

James.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NA, he did not make line recommendations. I'll start with what RIO recommends for a Skagit head, the 475 grain Skagit Flight (with or with out a 2 foot cheater).

JW, thanks for the advice. From talking with Bob and reading about his rods it sounds like he makes a softer rod (than Z-axis) with a wider grain window. Slowing down, letting the rod load at its pace will be key.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Sigh ... don't ask Bob where a UK based fly board went with one of his "YaZerrers!!!" Talk about 300+++ (if memory serves 360 some posts until the Board Owner cut close to 100, then back up to 300 posts; 90% 'Kadoo's.' Others? "The Board Owner" was the worst offender pissing on his shoes (and God Knows Bob's one of the "Best of the Best" rod designers/builders in the World); shooting war to put it mildly .. and the 'they' finally pulled the entire thread.

MEISER RODS RULE!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
fae

·
Registered
121 Posts
Really need to ask Bob what he recommends for his rods. He has always given me good information. He talks with a lot of people using each rod, so he knows what will work for the majority for each style of line. I am looking at another rod for a niche, chinooks.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Can understand Bob's 'reluctance' to suggest a line for a rod he didn't design, have the heck field tested out of same, yada-yada. All that said, 575 grains sounds just about right for that 8wt rod.
fae

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Really need to ask Bob what he recommends for his rods. I am looking at another rod for a niche, chinooks.
On the short side and at least a 10wt! Having gone 'one on one' with many of these fellows a 'long rod' is a VERY bad "Plan A." You need to put the power to the rod and the fish; these Puppies are not your 'normal' river fish. Power or it's all over ... save for you wanting to grind the fish down to nothing (C&R comment).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.