Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Life was good ..before "the movie"...
I see it differently. The movie can be attributed with bringing in new people to the game, and as such it also brought innovation of the sport. Which for some I guess is a bad thing, I imagine those people think that innovation of the sport is a bad thing. I know that some also see the extra crowds and think that is also a bad thing. I can understand that, but how many of those would be gear fishing (not that there is anything wrong with that) instead of fly fishing? Could be that the movie has saved more resources than what is perceived by the initial thought of the increased crowds.

I see the movie as a harbinger of innovation and awareness.

For the record, I was a pre-movie fly fisherman.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Hmm i don't think there has been a lot of innovation since the movie. there however has been a ton of exploitation

That might just be a matter of perspective though.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Hmm i don't think there has been a lot of innovation since the movie. there however has been a ton of exploitation

That might just be a matter of perspective though.
In my opinion, you are flat out ridiculous sometimes. But yeah, ok "YOU" don't think there has been a lot of innovation since the movie. At least this time you aren't attempting to state your opinion as a fact of the universe.

As for exploitation, you think the exploitation wouldn't have happened without the movie? I think this is a naive way of thinking about things. I on the other hand think that the increased population of fly fisherman increased awareness of larger issues.

I believe for you it always comes back to your beloved steelhead and that's the lens by which you see everything related to fly fishing, but the sport is much bigger than that. Even so, the demise of the steelhead has little to do with "exploitation" caused by an increase in the number of fly fisherman who target the fish because of a movie.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
In my opinion, you are flat out ridiculous sometimes. But yeah, ok "YOU" don't think there has been a lot of innovation since the movie. At least this time you aren't attempting to state your opinion as a fact of the universe.

As for exploitation, you think the exploitation wouldn't have happened without the movie? I think this is a naive way of thinking about things. I on the other hand think that the increased population of fly fisherman increased awareness of larger issues.

I believe for you it always comes back to your beloved steelhead and that's the lens by which you see everything related to fly fishing, but the sport is much bigger than that. Even so, the demise of the steelhead has little to do with "exploitation" caused by an increase in the number of fly fisherman who target the fish because of a movie.
everyone is ridiculous sometimes.. I think the exploitation is simply a lack of management. You are right increased awareness has been achieved I am not sure what that awareness has accomplished.

The problem is that the number of people wanting to fish certain fish in certain places has increased so much that opportunity for a quality experience has actually decreased. quality of experience is vastly more important that quantity of experience. and the quality of the experience is directly related to how few people are on the water. More people= less quality.

in regards to the movie i think the affect it had on fly fishing is more of a flash in the pan effect. It boosted numbers for a short period of time but few probably stuck with it. I think the general economy and alternative media sources has had a larger effect on increasing numbers who actually stuck with the sport.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
The problem is that the number of people wanting to fish certain fish in certain places has increased so much that opportunity for a quality experience has actually decreased.
Again, I think you are talking about steelhead here and once again I don't think it is the number of people as much as it is the lack of fish. If there were more fish spread out in more places than the people would also spread out. You see more people targeting the fish because there are less opportunities to fish for them. So the people who want to fish for them have to drive to where the fish are. Increased awareness of the scarcity is better than decreased awareness.

I think you made a good move to stop targeting steelhead altogether. I tried it for a year with some success, but I relapsed and targeted them twice in the next year. Now I'm again on a full year of leaving them the heck alone.

This does not mean that my fishing quality has diminished though, because quality is ultimately in the eye of the beholder and I can be having a truly quality experience at the same time you are miserable. Most of my fishing experiences are quality experiences regardless of what I'm targeting. @troutpocket @Nick Clayton (although these guys have also both seen me experiencing a less than quality fishing experience) @Buzzy @golfman44 @Swimmy @etc... all can attest to the truth in this.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Actually i do target steelhead from time to time. rarely wild fish though.

I guess everyone is looking for something different. if you are forced to share a run to be able to fish. the experience i want is completely destroyed. not diminished destroyed.

It's not just steelhead it's here in Montana too. too many people too little space. thats not to say you cannot escape it but the experience on the places I loved to go has changed. you have to socialize to fish Reynolds pass on the Madison for example. it's just no longer what i grew up loving. the experience has changed not me.

Whether thay change is good or bad is simple interpretation .

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I don't recall, did the 2 rod endorsement come after "the movie"? That and "strike indicators" (aka bobbers), certainly could be considered innovations.

No doubt the movie triggered an avalanche of interest in fly fishing, from people who would have otherwise never likely considered the sport/hobby. With that, the equipment manufacturers, lodges, and entire supply chain received a HUGE boost in business -- some of the profits going back into the improved equipment we now enjoy. Yes, this brought many more anglers and watercraft to the rivers and lakes many of us knew BBP (before Brad Pitt :D). With the downsides, however, there have also been good things. TU's membership grew; and with that a stronger voice in protecting fisheries. People from more varied backgrounds became involved with fish and habitat issues. Perhaps most important however is the large influx of women into the sport. Much like those involved with the NRA (historically regarded as a male only venue), they bring a completely different perspective. That simply would not have happened if say Mumbles, Rob Allen, Swimmy, or Irafly played the role of Paul Maclean ;). The initial frenzy has long since waned and I think the sport is better off because of the movie.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I don't recall, did the 2 rod endorsement come after "the movie"? That and "strike indicators" (aka bobbers), certainly could be considered innovations.

In all fairness, while us geezers were enjoying crowd-free rivers with decent runs of fish before and well before the movie, the devastating damage to the watersheds was being done and that is way more destructive then the influx of new fly-tossers.

Infact, the way it sits now, going to need all the conservation minded flyfisherman to help heal -and the more the merrier to chip in.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Any impact on our sport from the movie has surely run its course. I have not researched the current situation so this is conjecture on my part, but I believe the increased number of anglers is the result of general population growth in our region. I'm pretty sure the number of anglers, as a percentage of the population, is declining. Not that it matters when your favorite spot is taken.....

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Let's wait until the sequel film-all shot on location in Forks, "River Ruins Through It II-the curse of the out of state guides"...

Then Forks can be overrun with fishing film freakos on top of the Vampire nuts...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.