Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I refuse to put all my cash on the table when buying a vehicle, same concept here. WDFW has many eyes and ears.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
This is a tough one. We are talking annual resident fishing licenses here.

I can't imagine not fishing so my number is pretty high. I hate to even think about this.
Honestly bro I would ask for more specifics. I personally think that greatly depends on where you are buying the fishing license at. I think personally that I would pay less for a Washington state license vs an Oregon license or Idaho, Montana, Alaska, or BC. Plus WFF is pretty popular. I would not be surprised if there were some officials on this website. Our answers would maybe do harm against us.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Do you really think that organization would take some comments on a fly fishing message board and use it to justify raising prices?
Yes. Absolutely. They are running a business. Crazy that you don't.

·
Art 'n Fish
311 Posts
I would have to say within reason...as long as the funds were spent in a responsible and accountable way then I'm for spending more. I'm unfortunately not seeing that within any of our government offices at the moment.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Back when I lived and fished in Washington State, I can remember paying up to 40 bucks for a fishing license. I had a Fresh water and a Salt water one. A Steelhead punch card and a Salmon punch card. You had to pay for all when fishing. But they all included what they want to make you pay for now.

But I was working and making good money at the time. Now I'm just laid back and not doing much of anything. If I still lived there I would be pissed having to pay like you all do now.

When I left there in 2006. You got a sticker that let you park and all access places. You got it for free when you bought your fishing licenses. Now you need too many passes to enjoy yourself. That's all I feel I have to bitch about.

Here in Montana, you can camp out at the access places for up to 14 days with out a fee. Some places you can stay for 16 days with no fee. They keep the Vault toilets clean. Not so much in Washington.

I guess I'm done with my rant now.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Fly fishing & fly tying are very important to me & I will continue to enjoy the fly fishing aspect - it just may not be here. And there are some great places to fish around here locally. I wouldn't mind paying a fair increase in exchange for reasonable access considerations to many of those "great places" like we once had. I can understand the prerequisite for hiking into pristine wilderness areas; I don't understand the same prerequisite as being applicable to Columbia River shorelines & backwaters. Maybe it's my fault for being in my 60's or maybe the regulators just got a screaming deal on fencing, gates, & locks . . . wouldn't it be ironic if that's where fee increases were applied?

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
This thread was really meant to be how important is fishing to you and can you put a price on that.

I think the intent was good, the execution however was pure shit.
Intent versus impact. Your cute intentions often have the impact of unintended consequences. Something most of us see.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The fees continue to rise as the opportunities continue to dwindle. Not sure where the logic is. Maybe I'm asking for too much - you know - the logic part. I just returned from Arlington Hardware with my shiny new freshwater license - $29.50. No punch cards, no Columbia River, no salt, no two rods (they call them poles). Plan on fishing the shit out of my local water until it closes again - probably in Sept. Pretty short, f-ed up season if you ask me.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
The fees continue to rise as the opportunities continue to dwindle. Not sure where the logic is. Maybe I'm asking for too much - you know - the logic part. I just returned from Arlington Hardware with my shiny new freshwater license - $29.50. No punch cards, no Columbia River, no salt, no two rods (they call them poles). Plan on fishing the shit out of my local water until it closes again - probably in Sept. Pretty short, f-ed up season if you ask me.
They might be trying to reduce the number of fishers to reduce pressure on the fisheries. After all, we can all see that the pressure now is unsustainable, yet continues to rise. One way to reduce demand is to raise prices.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.