Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been put in charge of finding a vacation home for a weekend retreat for a bunch of church guys. Of course, I'm going to be as selfish as possible and try to angle for a place on the sound so I can get some fly fishing in.

I've never fished the salt and this would be my first time giving it a go. Shoot, I haven't even checked the regs and bet (by my luck) that everything is closed down.

Anyhow, I'm headed off to do a bunch of research, but does anyone have a general reccomendation in terms of areas to target around Seattle? I'm not looking for you favorite beach or anything, but as a general idiot in terms of saltwater fishing, any kind of points in the right direction would be a big help.

One of the guys was mentioning Indianola, but I haven't researched it much yet.

G

·
Indianola is close to Aget Pass tons of beach to fish. A long time ago I would fly fish at Indianola for Dogfish and salmon near the Indian hatchery. Good spot to go.

·
flyfishing addict
418 Posts
I belong to Cedar Park Northshore church, I know that our church has a retreat center, called Cedar Springs, outside of Lake Stevens area. I believe the South Fork of the Stilly isn't to far away, I don't really know the area all that well so I could be wrong. I'm guessing if you contacted the Main church in Bothell and inquired about staying there, you may be able to get a good price on it, it's worth a try at least.Sometimes the rivers are either blown out or closed this time of year, but don't let that sway you on where to go!!
JB

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
The hatchery Stewart mentions is near the head of Miller Bay, West of town. I used to ski there in the 60s/70s. For 60 or more years there has been a beach front church retreat to the East of town. Drive into the heart of town, with the dock dead ahead, and take the last left (East) and drive to the end of the road. I think this is a link.
www.campindianola.org/
Just East of the treat a bit is Jefferson Head, one of the better fishing spots on the Sound. You very well could get lucky from the camp beach. The beach directly in front of Indianola is very shallow grade and all sand. A great place for beach parties, volleyball and swimming but not super productive for fishing, other than flounder maybe. (I should say though that I've not tried it. There could well be crusing SRCs with the proximity of Miller Bay and it's two inlet creeks.) On a summer night sometimes you can stand on the end of the dock and see dogfish swimming with a bio-luminescent outline.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
There is a state park up on Camano where you can actually reserve cabins. You bring your own linens. Sorry, can't remember the name.

Another option is renting the officer's quarters up at Fort Warden. They are many room houses and are great for groups. Lot's to do in the area.

You can cook for yourself at both facilities.

MB

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
Well done Bob!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys - for all the recommendations. I'm going to have to get my duff off the winter depression couch and plan some more weekend getaways to make sure I hit all of these rec's.

We settled on a place in Marysville - for better or worse. I'm going to try and get a kayak for the weekend so I can play around with some fish.

-J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.