Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend bugwhippersnapper and I will be floating the yakima river for our first time. Actually, I have floated it a couple times, but only from ringer to big horn. Anyway we are looking to do a decently long float, probably most of the day. About how many hours would it take to float from ringer to uptanum? Or, do you guys have any suggestions for a good float? We want to stick to the lower canyon, and sections with the least amount of challenging water. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question that came to mind was if there are any sweepers from ringer to umtamum that I should be aware of? This will be my first trip where I am on the sticks the whole time. I have floated a handful of times in driftboats and rafts and been in sleds countless times. Needless to say I am a novice on the sticks, so any advice is welcome.

By the way, we will be out Saturday and Sunday in an NRS Otter with a rowing frame rented from CWU. So if any of you guys see us be sure to say hi!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was planning on stopping by troutwater tomorrow to buy some bugs for saturday. I will pick their brains as well. I am super excited for this trip so I've been trying to gain as much information as possible. I am very familier with the Yak and the lower canyon from a bankie's perspective, just haven't done any serious floating on it.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I haven't been up as far as Ringer recently, but there are no significant sweepers between Big Horn and Umptanum (and generally there never are). At 1300cfs, you will need to keep an eye out for rocks below the surface and you will want to pay attention to the line with the most water when you hit the shallow riffles.

As far as timing in concerned, Ringer to Umptanum can be a full day float if you are going to stop, either at anchor or from the shore at multiple points (and at those flows, it should be relatively easy to shore fish). If you have a really early start, you may consider Ringer to Reds or Lmuma. In any event, you want to be on the water when the sun drops below the hills and especially in that half hour dusk.

Steve

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
I am not in a position to be offering advice, but I can mention briefly my experience as a new guy on the sticks for (5) floats late August thru mid-September. The floats were different segments of the Ringer to Mahre's stretch. High water (3900 cfs) in August, low (1500 cfs) in September. I don't think there is anything particularly challenging in this stretch.

What I confirmed from others comments prior to my first time on the sticks, was to maintain your attention(concentration) on the river at all times, and think about dipping only half an oar blade in the river when rowing. At first, this was much more difficult to do consistantly in skinny water than I thought it might be. How to manuever to avoid trouble had already been drummed into me, I assume you have been coached as well. I was fishing in a Water Master.

I was told at Red's that at 3900 cfs, you move at an average of 4 mph, while at 1500 cfs (somewhat similar to current conditions) you will only move at about 1 1/2 mph.

Regarding sweepers, no dangerous sweepers that I experienced. Colored vinyl from the rubber hatches stuck on some of the slightly overhanging brush and trees though.

Hope this helps a little until others offer some more experienced advice. Be safe and wear PFDs.

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Oh btw, Big Horn closed on September 14th. I assume that was for the season.

I did Ringer to Red's as an easy all day float. Finished too early in fact, but that of course is determined by how often you stop, and it's getting dark earlier now.

And yes, the submerged boulders... some are just underwater enough not to "show".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a breakdown of how the weekend went

Friday night: Stayed up til two in the morning tying flies we thought would work best for the trout on the yak. Max tied up mostly october caddis patterns while I worked on a couple BWO nymph patterns.

Saturday:Floated Ringer to Uptanum. The temp was in the mid eighties with clear skies. Not the best fishing conditions. Also, not the best conditions to be wearing neoprene waders. Anyway we landed about a dozen fish between the two of us primarily all were on small bwo nymphs. Overall, fishing was slower than I had hoped for.

Sunday: Floated Uptanum to big pines. Today was much cooler with the temp in the lower 70's and overcast skies. Fishin started off strong in the morning, we each landed a couple fish. I hooked and landed a nice rainbow on the BWO nymph. I wasn't even fishing when the fish hit, I was unhooking Max's fly from my waders, just allowing my flies to hang in the current. I think we probably caught less fish Sunday, despite the more favorable conditions. However, we did catch fish on a more variety of flies.

Comments: I was a little dissapointed with some of the water in the lower stretch of the canyon from red's to bigs pines. A whole lot of frog water down there. Do you guys typically just blast through this stuff or do you actually fish it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.