Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at buying the Creek Company's ODC 1220 2-man pontoon fishing craft. Has anyone heard of anything on this specific pontoon or do they own one? I would use it for floating the Yakima, etc and I don't have the money to buy a drift boat right now (the wife is pregnant with our first child, so...) Someday, though, I'll have my drift boat! I've checked out the website and I have all the specs, etc, I just wondering if anybody has one and what they thought of it, likes/dislikes. I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks and tight lines.

Matt

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought two boats a couple of years ago, one for myself and one for my wife. I put quite a few hours into researching just about every boat on the market (there are alot) and I bought the J.W.Outfitters Alaskans. the boats are 10', come w/ anchor rigging(just add rope and lead), 2 cargo bags, a stripping apron, gear tray, bag rack thats big enough to put a full size cooler on, and track real nice. They are also rated for class 3 water. They carry a 5 year warranty and have aluminum frames that weighs just over 40 lbs. You can break down the boats and fit each one in two airline checkable suitcases and for the money, I still have not seen anything come close. They were $700 ea., but the answer is yes I would trust them with the life of my wife and myself. I have yet to get into any water that I did'nt feel completly safe in these boats. Do your wife and yourself a favor and buy a boat that will handle water you would'nt go in, that way you know your going to safe.
Good luck and tight lines! :EEK

·
Registered
804 Posts
Mtlhead,
Have you fished in the salt in your pontoon boat? I've been wondering how these boats row on open water close to shore? I imagine the pontoons deflecting when you really hammer on the oars.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Jim

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
You didn't REALLY think I'd go without posting on this would you?? lol

First off, how much do they want for the ODC's?? I rarely ever price manufactured boats anymore. I normally custom build my own catarafts (or shall I say the frames that is) with good whitewater tubes. It really depends on your price range and such. If I was going to buy a 2 man boat, I'd go with a Steelheader 12 or 14'. Built for fishing out of and extremely stable. But if you only plan to fish mellow rivers, then go with the low end ODC's, outcasts, etc. No need to worry about stresses to the boat.

If I were you, I'd wait and just get a DB if that's what you want. Especially if you have a family. The nice thing about DB's, you have a windbreak, sturdy for heaters (which can be done on a cat, but you must be careful) and you have better coverage for the young ones. I know with my kids, they love to go out on the cat, but they hate when it gets cold and windy. Wind comes right up on you.

I've taken my boat out in the salt. The only BIG problem with catarafts, is they're made to take water and run with it. But aren't made to cut it very well. Now, a DB in the salt are GREAT. Used to take mine out all the time out in Purdy. But the cat is hard to cover water with. It can be done with long enough oars, but the hulls aren't made to cut through the water well. Add a strong current and good luck. It can be done, but if you want to add salt play into game, either add a kicker to the cat, or get a DB.

Steelheader69
"You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

·
Registered
385 Posts
I live in Marysville and I'll fish anywhere from the mouth of the snohomish river (priest point area) up past Kyak Point along the shoreline, and the boats work great, but keep in mind safety. You do not want to get out into open water in these, the tide rips will beat you in a rowing contest every time. sometimes i'll drop in at the slough with an hour left on a out going tide and fish with the tide, when it comes back in i'll go with it, it saves alot of rowing I just think it is soooo nice to pull up to the boat launches and drop in the boats, for that mater you can even drop them in at any acess point and forget about the launch and the lines. If you plan to fish cutt's and silvers in shallow water there great, just clean them good becuase the salt is very rough on them (gear too). :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steelheader,

The ODC 1220 was $999 at Cabela's. However, I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." With that said and after doing a little more research on pontoons and catarafts, that seems kind of cheap compared to other models. I'm not sure if the quality is there or not. By the way, do you SELL the custom catarafts you build and if so, how much? What about fishing frames for whitewater-type rafts?

Also, thanks to everyone for their input, thoughts, and suggestions, that's why I love this forum!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

Go to www.creekcompany.com and check out their new pontoon boat. It's a two man boat and sells for under 1000.00 dollars. It has 12'6" long pontoons and 20" around. If you go there you can read all about it.

Jim :THUMBSUP

Back again. I guess I don't read very well I seemed to have missed where he is talking about the same boat.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Nope

When I say build, I meant that I design frames. Then have a welder build them for me. I buy whitewater tubes from one of the major manufacturers.

It's true, it's hard to find "cheap" when it comes to these boats. Normally there is something that is lacking. I do know a good frame builder I can hook you up with. I can draw you up a frame depending on what you want. I provide all services free, I'm not out to make money, only help produce the boat YOU want for YOUR needs. Most tubes in the 12' range go for at least a grand, and that's just the tubes. You do get what you pay for.

Send me an email. I'll help you all I can. I can hook you up with sources for tubes and frame builders. Heck, if you know a welder, I can do the schematics for you, and have them build for you.

Here's a picture of my fishing frame for my 16' cataraft.

Steelheader69
"You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.