Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok about a year ago I had to break down and buy a new pair of wading boots.So I went cheap and bought Cabelas ultra light wading boot.So enough said here I am a year later needing to buy a new pair.(Good comfortable boots, just not too durable)
So the questions I have:
Vibram vs Felt pro's and con's?
Sizing..do I need to buy a size larger than my regular size.Because I've always bought for my regular size, but I see alot of people complaining about sizes being off especially korkers.
And lastly, really what is the life expectancy of a good boot? The best pair I've had was orvis henr'y fork that lasted a few years.Although, I'm fishing more these days.So realistically, if I'm fishing 2-4 days a week, is more than a year too much to ask?
Thanks for any info and of course if someone has a deal for me my ears are perked!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Thad,

The move away from felt is coming. You can still use felt in most places, but the new rubber soles on the boots I use are pretty darn good.
Sizing is best done in a shop with the socks and waders on that you expect to wear. If you follow a size up one size over your street shoe size you will only set yourself up for possible disappointment, tight boots and cold feet.
I'll say that I wore my Korkers Guide boots today for a trip using the studded KlingOn soles and they still rock! In my opinion they are well designed, but lightweight, offer many soles for your varied needs and mine are a year and a half old now, no problems for me but I've only got about 80 to 100 outings on them. I have an older pair of Simms G3's with felt, they are a heavier, wider wading platform that I bought used. They are great boots and for some situations where I want a heavier and wider wading shoe, this is the one. Go to your local shops and try on their varieties. While wearing them around the shop do your materials shopping and put together your wish list so you get ample time in the boots to see if they fit you comfortably. Good luck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a set of simms freestones, that are my back up boots but prior to that they were my primary for four years, and I fish 200+ days a year; in that time I've replaced the laces twice and have lost three to four studs, but the boots are other wise wearing well and have plenty of life left. Freestones are very affordable and perhaps the best value out there.

And yes, I'd buy one size larger for simms and perhaps two sizes for korkers. (My son's korkers though the same size feel smaller than my freestones.)

I don't have any input on soles as I have no experience with vibram soles for wading.

James.

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
The only way to get a surefire fit is to try on several pairs in the store and compare. There's no overall rule of thumb on what just feels right.

Taking the time to do that will save you the time, money & hassle of sending in a pair of 'gently used' boots back to the manufacturer and waiting for a replacement pair to be mailed back. I'm in the middle of that waiting game and it blows. I'm just lucky that Nick from Korkers is the man.

·
Registered
846 Posts
What size do you wear? I've got a pair of lightly used Korker Cross Currents (Size 11) that no longer fit my son, with three different soles, that I'm willing to let go pretty cheap...like $30. I see you live in Vancouver, if your interested, we can meet and you're free to try before you buy.

James.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thats a good buy! Just got a pair, used em half a dozen times, so far I love em!

·
Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advise.I've been researching lesser priced boots.I did see the simms freestone boot and am interested.One thing thats very important to me is a light weight boot. A boot that drains water fast.The freestone I noticed didn't seem to have many exit holes.Though seemed rugged. I have also seen a discontinued felt model by Simms the blackfoot model.So I began to try and locate a pair in my size.Few had them in felt and the shop's that did had them marked up a bit or were outragous to ship.So just saturday I stopped in my local fly shop and to my luck the owner had a pair in my size and at the recomended retail cost.We talked about the switch to vibram as he had both models, but his take on the vibram is that he feels it's a money driven scam.He also said the vibram have less traction than felt.So that was enough to sell me.I suppose I'll stay felt and just be carefull to do my part keeping from the transfer of inavasive species by washing well after each use.So now I got a new pair of simms blackfoot boot.So thanks every one again for the advise.I suppose I'll report down the road how the new boots hold up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.