Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing some Gurgler-type wakers with mild success lately. Sometimes they don't behave the way I want them to (like... they go under and don't make a wake). One thing I suspect is the unsophisticated improved clinch knot I'm using on a turned up-eye mustad 90240 light wire hook. I'd like to try a straight or ring-eye hook...or even a down-eye hook. Anybody tried the Tiemco 2302 or 2312 size #6 for wakers? Any suggestions on hooks/knots/patterns or anything else that may pertain is appreciated.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
There is a loop knot tutorial in the Content section. When I fish gurglers on the surface of the salt water I tie that loop knot. I like the knot and the limited restriction it seems to put on the fly. When skated across a seam or waked on the retrieve it will bounce and dart if there is a touch of chop on the water. I like it and sometimes the fish do too.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I use the non slip mono loop for the loop reason. The uni knot is one that I've been using a bit that is easy to tie, even in limited light, and seems to work well.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I use a Surgeon's Loop on all flies, but I feel the smaller the loop the better. If you make the loop too big, the knot will make a small wake in front of the fly causing it to float different or not look natural.
Also, I make my Gurglers with the foam strip over the back like Jack Gartside. I found if I leave the foam tag over the eye longer I can get really cool effects. Plus I can trim it on the water as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.