Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to John (tythetyer)the other day about fishing and where to go and what to sling. He mentioned Rocky Ford. I have never fished there. I have been to Dry Falls and Lenore but never Rocky Ford. Guess that shows how dense I am with it comes to fishing.

Anyway, he got me interested in the fishery. So I looked it up on the Westfly web site. According to them, they list the scud as a prime fly during October.
My question is what pattern color and size. The bird's nest was mentioned but that does not look like most of the scud patterns that I know. But then again
what the heck do I know.

So if a creeky old man was to make a trip over, what would you suggest he take as regard to rod wt, line type and flys. Just asking.

Thanks for looking
Charlie

·
Registered
98 Posts
Charlie: I try to fish RF at least one a month. Except for the winter of 2008 I fish every month. That doesn't make me an expert but I will share what has worked for me. I fish a sage 10' with a floating line. I recommend at least 13' of leader with flourecarbin 6x tippet of about four feet. I get more hook-up with 6x than 5x but I am quick to break the fish off rather than over play and end up killing the fish. If using sstreamers I stay with 5x, since the hits are not suttle. When using scuds I tend to use #16 in October and November; smaller as cold weather sets in. I know guys that use #12 scuds but I'm talking about what works for me. I also use a strike indicator with scuds since strikes can be nearly undetectable. I use a piece of white wool to help detect the slightest interest. I was once approached by another fisherman wanting to borrow a strike indicator and went to give him some treated wool. He turned and left in a huff saying "you don't know what you are doing." An hour later I saw him pulling out of the parking lot. I had 18 to hand that day.

I plan to fish RF this Thursday and Friday. If we bump into each other I can show you some of the other flies that work for me. In the meanwhile good fishing--duane

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
A 5wt should do the trick. No wading in any portions of the Creek. I've had my best luck in the wind(and it can really blow over there) with a size 14 green scud. Or if they aren't put down by the wind any small dry should work.

Most of the fish in there fight like zombies. They have been caught many times over and over by many different folks.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fellows. I was planning on taking my five weight but the leader information was new to me. I will rig accordingly. I have white wool
and I have leaders material but not in that size, so I guess a trip to the fly shop.
Maybe I can whip out a few scuds for the trip in green and orange?

I have not been fishing for about three years so anything I get to bump my offering is a bonus to me. But i appreciate the heads up from you both.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
One thing not mentioned is you can't use splitshot, so you'll do good to have weighted scuds and other nymphs.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not like to attach lead shot to my leader. Just funny that way. I do, on occasion use lead wire to tie under the wrappings on the fly and I sometimes use a glass or brass bead head.

I guess some guys don't like the beads. I don't understand this. I respect it but I don't understand it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find that bead head sometimes turn the fish off.

I ususally fish a 5wt with a 9ft leader to either 4x or 5x. I have found fluorocarbon helps when fishing there, but I only use it on the last 20 or so inches.

Scuds are good all year, but bugger and other leech patterns work well.

When it comes to strike indicators I find that sometimes they make the fish shy and sometime not. I think the bigger challenge is sneaking up on the fish so they dont see you.

I also saw a guy using a ladder once when I was there. He was slaying them, so there might be something to it, althought I have never used one.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
I fished the Ford on Sunday 10-03-10
I caught all my fish on a #14 olive scud, I tie mine heavy.
If ya want more info PM me.
One other thing, I caught one of the top five biggest trout of my life on Sunday. This thing was huge and ugly, ran all my line out twice.
There are a lot of smallish fish in the 12" or so class and a lot of fun. Hard to hook.
5 wt rod and I use 3x or 5x. 3x if it's windy and 5x if calm. I don't like to over fight these fish, after all they have been caught many times.
If ya are going over on a weekend let me know and I'll join ya.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My take would be that in a fishery like Rocky Ford, that more natural colors and textures would
pay bigger dividends than the flash of artificial attachments like beads.

That said, I have found that beads are a real asset in still water.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Charlie: I should have read my reply before posting. My sage 10' is rated 5 weight. I bought the 10' for fishing lakes out of a float tube but have found it helpfull in avoiding backcast hangups. I think the guys with the step ladders are solving the same problem and also gettin g help in sight casting. I started my affair with RF in 1987. I had a tough time for a couple of years. Then a gentleman by the name of Lyle who seemed to be fishing the upper reaches every time I ventured overoffered some advice. He smoked cigars and would sit in a chair and cast an olive colored scud and let it sit. He didn't use any strike indicator. According to Lyle the fish were so educated that if they felt the drag of a strike indicator they would spit the fly out immediately. I have solved the problem of getting the fly down by using Zink rather than beads. Lyle passed on while fishing RF a couple of years ago. A fine gentleman and ready to help a guy solve the problem of the day. ---duane

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for sharing that, Duane. I like the soft hackle flies and anything with a light dressing. I believe that a lot of the time, less is better. That said, sometimes it takes a big buxom painted lady to turn the fishes head. But with wary fish, less is better.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
I may be the ladder gentlemen mentioned. This site has a wealth of knowledge on fishing the Ford. I have more than once given almost all my secrets up about this place. As for scuds, I use a size 12 almost exclusively, but I've also done well with a 10 I rarely move to a smaller size. I never fish to a fish, instead I always fish to where a fish is going to be. Scuds for the most part, unless otherwise disturbed will spend their lives on the bottom of the creek on rocks and in weeds. That is where I fish my scuds, on rocks, in the weeds on sand (love fishing them on sand I think the fish find they are easier to catch on the sand). I will often times place the scud on the bottom and then wait, just sit there and ignore all other fish until one approaches my fly, then I twitch the fly micro micro less than a cm a movement. Fish will see it they will eat it and when you are first starting 6 out of 10 times you are likely to pull the fly right out of the fishes mouth until you get the timing down.

I use greyish, brownish, moss greenish, oliveish and combination color scuds. I've found that the color does not seem to matter nearly as much as the presentation when fishing it on the bottom.

Good luck.

Ira..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I fished today. Caught fish on small mini leech in olive and black, size 10. Those using scuds in size 12 did well, my partner. It was slow even for those fishing scuds. My partner and I caught the majority of the fish caught. We usually do well as Rocky Ford veterans but today was even slow for us.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
On

I may be the ladder gentlemen mentioned. This site has a wealth of knowledge on fishing the Ford. I have more than once given almost all my secrets up about this place. As for scuds, I use a size 12 almost exclusively, but I've also done well with a 10 I rarely move to a smaller size. I never fish to a fish, instead I always fish to where a fish is going to be. Scuds for the most part, unless otherwise disturbed will spend their lives on the bottom of the creek on rocks and in weeds. That is where I fish my scuds, on rocks, in the weeds on sand (love fishing them on sand I think the fish find they are easier to catch on the sand). I will often times place the scud on the bottom and then wait, just sit there and ignore all other fish until one approaches my fly, then I twitch the fly micro micro less than a cm a movement. Fish will see it they will eat it and when you are first starting 6 out of 10 times you are likely to pull the fly right out of the fishes mouth until you get the timing down.

I use greyish, brownish, moss greenish, oliveish and combination color scuds. I've found that the color does not seem to matter nearly as much as the presentation when fishing it on the bottom.

Ira..
On Monday I was at Rocky Ford and I noticed crawdads working on the bottom. I have been wondering since then if dragging my mini leeches across the bottom are more representive of small crawdads rather than shrimp. Mini Leeches have been so very effective over the years that they must represent some food source the fish eat regularly. I had always thought they represented scuds but now I'm not so sure. Describing placing the scud on the bottom and waiting for a fish then twitching it might represent a small crayfish. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.