Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my father in law still here and since I got him a 5 day license instead of the 2 day license he needed for our Yakima River trip we headed out for a MA 9 Beach. The tide was high at 5:30 but there was not going to be huge water movement. Regardless we figured we'd see if some Sea Run Cutthroat Trout would come out to play.

I selected a Kerfwappie baitfish, a Gartside style, for my father in law and told him to cast it out and strip it in, varying the retrieve. Work it 180* around you from the shore before going out into the water as many SRC are found in less than 18" of water. I showed him a gravel spit that would allow him easy wading access and told him that there would be a pool in this direction that sometimes would hold bait and also bait eaters. On the opposite side was a slowly deepening gravel bottom that led to grass beds, also a place for SRC to feed.

I wandered about 50 yards down the beach, keeping an eye on him. He's fishy but his wading is not what it used to be and sometimes there are waves from passing vessels that can swell and sneak up on you if you are not familiar with this beach.

He got into this:

He then got into this a couple casts later:

I worked a couple of floating patterns, a popper and a gurgler. I got a few swirl refusals but no takes or hookups.

It was a great quick trip to the beach.

We saw five small boats return from fishing. One had a single king, probably about 20#. Everyone else got nada.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I nearly stepped on a bullhead, but nary a one hit my flies. I told my dad to expect bullhead and be happy with SRC or a shot at a resident coho. He never caught a bullhead either. He can't belive that this place is maybe 5 minutes from my driveway and there are a lot of other places within about 5 more minutes. I've showed him another beach each time he's come out this way to visit.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought that many a trip to our local beaches. I'd hate to hook into a resident coho on a 2 or 3wt though, the urge to get on the grill would mean I'd be up for a bit of a long fight.

·
flyfishing addict
418 Posts
Ed, I had a similar experience at the same beach on Friday, we fished the low and walked right of the boat launch to the next point down. My friend did all the catching, I got a nary litte bite towards the end of the day. I saw some nice fish though close in, a King of maybe 12-14 lbs, jumped not nearly 10-15 feet from me, I saw others slashing bait at the surface, but these were 50 feet beyond my casting range. Nice that this is close by for you, I come from seattle and mess w/ the ferry traffic and all. I had to wait 1hr 20 min. friday and pay $29.77 to get there, nasty. Hope our luck will soon change?? should happen anytime now. I'm going over to Picnic Point this AM for this low, I don't like it as well as that beach but it's on my side. Good Luck to y'all.
JB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.