Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let's Go Brandon!!
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to tie up some quill body chironomids like this Sky Plant Twig Wood Art
and have some ?'s for those of you that have tied similar flies.

1. I can't find a local source for stripped peacock hurls - where do you get yours?

2. The three brands I've seen online (Polish Quills, Veniard & trout line) have a bunch of colors - what 3, 4 or 5 colors would be best to order?

3. Any other info/suggestions/comments re. peacock quill bodies?

Thanks, Ron

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
I use peacock herl that is dyed black, olive, red and brown for midge emergers. I strip the quill myself with the use of a white eraser.... you simply place a single herl on a flat surface and with the eraser, stroke the herl away from the quill and it comes right off... very easy.

·
livin' the dream
1,672 Posts
The bleach does work, but the quills can dry out quick and crack when wrapping. Also, you have to get the "bigger" peacock eyes. GAT is spot on with one at a time.

Consider colored markers for quill colors

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I want to tie up some quill body chironomids like this View attachment 120624 and have some ?'s for those of you that have tied similar flies.

1. I can't find a local source for stripped peacock hurls - where do you get yours?

2. The three brands I've seen online (Polish Quills, Veniard & trout line) have a bunch of colors - what 3, 4 or 5 colors would be best to order?

3. Any other info/suggestions/comments re. peacock quill bodies?

Thanks, Ron
I always wondered about quill bodies and did uot know they came from peacock herl.

Thanks for the good question, and the responses.

jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.