Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From ENE NEWS. Hundreds of millions of pacific salmon missing presumed dead- gov't issue emergency order along us west coast-japan suffering historic collapse,fish starving-all forms of ocean life dying in stunning numbers in the pacific. The failed plant in japan still leaking tons of radiation into the ocean.

·
North Bend, WA
4,400 Posts
From ENE NEWS.
Regarding ENE NEWS...
ENENews, or Energy News, is a fear mongering anti-nuclear news aggregator that was created in response to the Fukushima I nuclear accident. The site tends to have three different types of posts: posts that imply the Fukushima accident has poisoned the entire Pacific Ocean and adjacent coastlines (as if a single nuclear accident could do such a thing) and that "They" are covering up the true scale of the disaster. The site also features posts that report on any and every case of animal death and disease that occurs in the Pacific Ocean and adjacent coastlines, and posts that claim that the Fukushima reactors are seconds away from exploding again and releasing more pollution.

·
Huge Member
5,193 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
An old friend repeated the scare story to me last Tuesday, especially concerning the BC salmon found to contain cesium 134. Then this past weekend I saw and read the article that ChaseBallard linked above indicating that the amount of radioactive material in a Pacific Ocean salmon is less than what we routinely receive from a dental X-ray.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Just to be clear. Radiation is energy emitted by radioactive material. So a salmon can not contain radiation. However, it can contain radioactive particles that emit radiation. Think of a charcoal barbeque. The lit coals are the radioactive material and the heat coming from the coals is the radiation.
Someone paid attention in their r qual training.

·
Banned
1,366 Posts
Sadly, more and more of these type news and blog groups are spouting off all around the world. Most have an agenda and a political axe to grind.
View attachment 136924
No argument there.

I would venture to guess that at least Columbia River salmon get more radiation from plumes of radioactive materials in the water spreading down from Hanford, than from Fukushima. That is totally a guess, no evidence to back it up, but I have heard the Columbia River is the most irradiated river in the world (probably outside of Russia!).

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Just to be clear. Radiation is energy emitted by radioactive material. So a salmon can not contain radiation. However, it can contain radioactive particles that emit radiation. Think of a charcoal barbeque. The lit coals are the radioactive material and the heat coming from the coals is the radiation.
The risk is small :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.