Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - I've seen a few posts out there on this topic over the years but I'll ask the question anyway. Thinking of getting a raft for and am new to rafting. I think I'll probably realistically spend something around 15 days out on the water in any given year - 6/7 trips after I feel comfortable operating the thing. Looking at NRS and Saturn boats. Pls let me know comments on these 2 kinds of boats. Cheers

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
What size/length/how many people?

How will you transport it?

Do you want to just fish out of it or use it for whitewater too?

When fishing, do you want to just use if for transportation or do you want to fish on the move?

Do you want to do overnight trips too?

Are you concerned about warranty (difference between a new and used boat, lots of used boats out there)?

You should be asking these questions and then come up with a budget. That will narrow things down greatly.

Nothing wrong with either boats you mention though I would spend a little more money and lean towards the NRS giving those two options.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Sounds like you want it setup like a drift boat, with a bow and stern seat with floors and lean bars. If your doing overnight trips, in order to save room, you will probably want a dry box and a cooler incorporated into the frame for storage. For a Saturn/Maxxon type quality raft, your looking at over $4000 for new. For a Maravia/Sotar type quality raft, your looking at closer to 7K new. Lots of options in the middle too.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
In between Saturn, Maravia and the Sotar range is Rocky Mountain Raft, good value; welded seams vs. glued, etc. Also you can build your own frame, welded or with fittings, several styles and price ranges. Look for used boats on Mountain Buzz and NRS Community as well as here and other local to you forums.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Derek has some good advice, you really do get what you paid for! I have a 14' NRS Expedition that is 22 years old and still looks great! I've done a 21 day Grand Canyon trip with it, so great for hauling gear. It weighs 10 lbs more than a Sotar, but I can roll my boat up tightly and store it rolled, can't do that with a PVC boat.

·
Registered
472 Posts
For overnight trips, I would tend towards the 14' length vs the 13'. That extra foot will buy you a lot of comfort and storage room. NRS boats are a great value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.