Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Biggest question..."how much are you willing to spend"? - A few fingers or an organ?

I was just down in Seattle the other day, dropped in to the "Patagoochy" store to check out their flyfishing garb...they have a damn nice "deep water" wading/rain coat, I believe it was $180. It seems to be a lot of cash, however, it does come with a life time warranty, similar to all of there gear. That coat is on my Christmas list along with their waders, but I did walk out with a pair of fleece/neoprene/leather fingerless gloves (for flyfishing).

Cabelas has some nice stuff as well...best o'luck!

·
Slainte
6,629 Posts
I wear a Barbour Spey jacket, not easy to find around here.
My best advice is go try 'em on, you can't go wrong with most as far as quality and rainproofiing in the gore tex category. The one that fit's you best is the one you ought to get.

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas

·
Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
17 Posts
Check out Sierra Trading Post
www.sierratradingpost.com

They have some great deals on the following:
DEEP WADING JACKET by PATAGONIA $129.50
SST WADING JACKET by PATAGONIA $227.50
STRATUS WADING JACKET by REDINGTON $79.00
Q-NIMBUS JACKET by REDINGTON $134.95 :EEK
RIPSTOP JACKET by REDINGTON $99.95
WINDBREAKER by REDINGTON $59.95

Steve

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Talking about rain gear you will all rain on me when I'm done. But here goes any hoo. Why spend all that money for a rain coat when you can go out and buy those disposable rain ponchos for a buck a piece, And they keep you just as dry. They don't look very appealing. But they work.

This is what you all get when they turn me loose on this here 'puter.

Jim

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
Both Simms and Patagonia make excellant wading jackets in goretex, great pockets, fabric is tough. Mine last many years. a very good investment. buy the best once and you won't be sorry with cheap stuff later.Both companies have awesome service and warranties.

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
being politically correct sucks

i definitely agree. i may sound like a cabelas spokesman or something but that company is awesome. cabelas brand stuff is quality and very affordable. with that extra $$$ you can take that trip to alaska and maybe you will have enough extra $$$ to take dear ol' me on that trip to alaska.
i think i went too far with that one...

~sean~

·
Registered
93 Posts
My neighbor just got that Cabela jacket pictured above. It is a sweet jacket with lots of pockets and space.

I am looking at the Hodgeman rain Jacket for 100 bucks...but may settle for a Hefty cinch sak this season. The comfort doesn't get the highest marks, however the cinching bands help keep the rain out and can be used to clip on miscellenous items fly boxes ect :)

Brian

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Don't anybody laugh as I have used them before. It seems that in order to be like the Jones's you have to have a Champane taste and a beer pocket book like me. I would like to get a wading jacket but being that my wife spends just as much as I do it isn't in the cards to get one so it's bags or disposible ponchos. I do have a raincoat but in order to wear it I have to wear a sweat shirt on the inside to keep all the water that it collects from condencation(sp) soaking me. :HMMM

Jim

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I got this Eddie Bauer rain coat that is so far out and groovy that I can't begin to describe it. It was on closeout at the Silverdale store and I got it to fish Southeast Alaska where the rains are said to be of legendary proportions. I dunno :CONFUSED I used to live in a rainy climate but the damn place dried up on me. Going to have to move farther north, I guess. Anyway, I stand outside everynight hoping to test out my new coat. "But nuthin from nuthin means nuthin to me." Works great in the shower though :THUMBSUP .

·
Banned
92 Posts
If you are not concerned about looking like a fancy fly fisher then go with the light weight stuff made for climbing...example Marmmot Precip Anorak. 60 bucks on sale and I just throw my vest over the top and that is that. Cheap, breathable. I've used it alpine climbing, floating in my float boat and wading. Big plus is its 11 oz.
Sisu, its what America needs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.