Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what wing material is being used for the commercially tied Rainy's Grand Hopper? After recently moving to Montana, I want to start stocking up my fly box now for the peak year of hopper fishing on the Bighorn and Yellowstone. I talked to a local commercial tier that thinks it is plastic laminated natural turkey but after closer inspection, it is all synthetic. I thought maybe its an arrow vane material but my search came up empty. I looked on the Rainy's website and they do not sell this product. Any thoughts/suggestions?

I will contact them tomorrow and see if they are willing to spill their secret.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So after talking to Rainy's today here is what they told me. It is a laminated saddle hackle so basically take a ginger saddle hackle and find a way to laminate it. I will start by sandwiching a feather inbetween Scotch tape and ironing it and going from there. I know that there are many alternatives from those mentioned above to many others currently available regarding winging material. What I like about this approach is that it creates a realistic and durable wing that is "light as a feather and stiff as a board"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.