Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where this is? I was in the Evening Hatch fly shop in eburg this weeekend, and he was talkin' it up. He had pics of some 20 plus bruisers. I was so excited, I forgot to ask where it was.

Thanks!

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

If my memory serves me right and I don't trust my memory very much any more,it runs into the Naches river off of Hiway 410 just a litte west of Yakima. But are they open yet. I know that most streams don't open until the 1st of June,and after checking the regs I find out that it doesn't open until the 1st of June.

I ran across this type of info before. A fly shop(no names) says that they are really hitting a certain type of fly on such and such river/creek in Eastern Washington. But when you check this info out you find out that that stream is still closed.

Please be wary on the info you get from fly shops. I wouldn't want you to get a ticket for poaching. Jim S. :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rattlesnake creek opens June 1. Also, this is a catch and release creek with selective gear rules.

You are right about verifying fly shop advice. I was talking to a shop about scheduling a guided trip on the Yakima that I had won and we got to talking about opportunities east of the cascades. He was raving about a river that they started fishing on over the last few years. I think they actually took some clients to the river. The river was the Okanogan and I recently noticed that it is completely closed to trout fishing. I was actually planning to stop and fish it on my way back from Kamloops this coming weekend. I'm glad I checked out the regs before I stopped to fish. The river is open to other game fish, but I am pretty sure this guy was trout fishing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
“Rattlesnake Creek” is a pseudonym for a creek out in the Columbia Basin. If the Evening Hatch told everyone the real name of all of the creeks they guide, they would go out of business (or at least do less). If you find “Rattlesnake Creek” you’ll know. It ain’t up in the Naches.

Fish on!
Len

·
Registered
9 Posts
oldman, the rattlesnake creek I remember drains into the natches up above eagle rock.Used to teach survival in that neck of the woods and can tell stories of hungry boys chasing fish out of the creek.There is also a good spot to find arrowheads and such there.like the Oldman said look at the maps around the Nile loop.Worth exploring.Little ratlsnake?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would agree with you all around, except for your belief that there is no Rattlesnake Creek that flows into the Naches in the Nile area. Look it up in the regs. It is catch and release and opens June 1. However, when it comes to multiple 20" fish, I would say this is the wrong Rattlesnake creek. I must have ignored that part when I first read the original post and submitted my reply. I have heard of remote or private creeks in the Columbia basin and east that the Evening Hatch fishes at. I even remember a deal where you meet at one of the central WA shops, I don't remember which, and they blindfold you and drive you to this secret creek where you are let out to fish, and supposedly catch 20" fish. Sounds kind of far fetched to me, but who knows. The proof is in the pictures that the shop had. If the scenery is of sage and bunchgrass flatlands and coulees, they were nowhere near the Naches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy All,
I'm a little surprised at how unfamiliar most folks are when it comes to knowing the geographical layout of our home state. I believe that I have located this stream on the map. Rattlesnake creek that joins the Naches is definitely not the stream that is depicted in the photos that I have seen. This stream flows down from the southeastern flank of Chinook pass, no coulee wall rock formations in this part of the state just coniferous forests. So where are these type of geographical formations most likely located you ask? Look to the central Columbia basin and you'll probably find it about as quickly as I did. O.K. enough said. Get out your maps and lets try not to all show up streamside at the same time.
Please remember to take a child fishing and pack out your trash,
nothing spoils a scenic location more than having to look litter.

Deanfisher

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI,

I usually don't have the time to do much surfing but ran across this topic on the site here and felt compelled to respond to this particular forum; in between tying flies, guiding, playing with the kids, and scheduling guests on waters from The Yakima to SA, Chile.

Fishing out of season is something none of us should do and we are most certainly not doing this with our crew here at The Evening Hatch. We only advertise and fish waters during the designated season. DW saw a picture from the cover of Fly Fisherman Magazine of one of our crew with a big brown and we started talking about the desert creeks and how good they can be. There are plenty of creeks open year round over in the scablands as well as there are many that open with the June 1 general opener.

I wouldn't be wary of info from fly shops/especially ones that guide for a living as they are on the water 24/7 365 a year; not many can attest to that.

Len is correct, if we gave up all our secrets then what would be the point. I have been fortunate to be blessed with a wife that puts up with the fishing as well as our enormous guide crew, who are basically like mavericks. WE guide because we can live vicariously through our guests and spend our time in the outdoors, we love bugs, rising trout, the river, and all the above that mother nature has given us.

So where is Rattlesnake Creek? There is a tributary to the Naches with the same name; as listed in the forum. It by the way is a wonderful fishery and I would reccomend it to any and all. Absolutely beautiful and certainly fishy. This however is not the creek that we are talking about. Blindfolding is nothing that we do as listed somewhere in this forum. We do guide the creeks (and there are multitudes of them). We don't however guide the creeks heavy as they are special ecosystems that can't handle major pressure.

Any how, we trust that all will fish within the seasons as listed by the WDFW and hope that you have as many smiling days on the water as possible...

Respectfully
Fish-on

Jack and Shawn Mitchell
& The Evening Hatch Guide Staff
The Evening Hatch Fly Shop
& Guide Service
PO BOX 1295
2308 Canyon Road
Ellensburg WA, 98926
509-962-5959
1-866-482-4480
www.theeveninghatch.com

G

·
rattlesnake creek is actually located in the nunya canyon. i have done "rattlesnake creek" about seven years ago with the hatch. if you get chance to go with hatch i reccomend doing it. Jack showed us absolute awesome time

It is litterally BFE nowhere

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.