Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Report for ya'all:

Hit up Ratlesnake Lake Friday afternoon. Started off with a WB and got a couple bites. Threw a couple split shots on as i floated across the middle of the lake. Got 3 or 4 real good hits right away but nothing after that. Go to the end of the lake farthest from the launch and started catching some fish on a six-pack. My buddy and i caught a couple beautiful 12 inch rainbows. Bunch of surface activity started around 7:30 but couldn't match the hatch. so went back to trolling after a while. Then we were killing them starting right at 8:05. It was like a switch, they ranged from 8 to 12 inches, including one larger 15 inch that was colored differently, wasn't a cut or rainbow. Anyways, good evening on the lake.

Saturday night we hit up the SF of the Snoqualmie. Nothing really to speak of since the water was WAY too high, even farther up in some nice places. It was really clear, but just too much water. Hopefully it'll come down soon.

Goodluck All -=Scott=-

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'll second that...six pack is a good fly for that lake.

***Here's a plug for a local shop, go to Creekside in Issaquah and the boys there will set you up. Try the six pack and also the "carey bugger" works well.

SHARP hooks required at rattlesnake.

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
Fished Rattlesnake with a freind on Saturday myself. Found that a slow sinking line with a Black Hares Ear worked well durring the middle of the day. I caught 12 fish with 10 being 10"-14" and 2 being smaller. Had one hit that ripped out 15'-20' feet of line before I could get the hook set then it got off. This was in the same part of the lake that twice before I have had hits that broke 4LBS test like it was not even there. My freind used a floating line and did not have much luck with it till around 7PM when the fish came closer to the surface and found that worked well with a small white streamer pattern of all things. I also went to fish The South fork on Saturday but as I was putting the rod together the end just snapped in half. It must have had a weak spot were I was holding it between my two fingers as I was stringing the line through the guides. After I hiked back to the truck I decided it was a sign not to fish that day even though I had the other rod in the truck. I plan to call for a replacement part today. :SAD

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've always wondered about the Snoqualmie. I've never fished it and don't know a thing about it. What can you guys tell me about it; good fishing, kind of fish, what works & when, etc.? Thanks for any information.

Later

pjr

Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat...wondering about the one that got away.

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
String up your rod when the flows die down and go explore any or all of the 3 forks. I do most of my fishing there between late July and late Sept.
If you're willing to work and find some less frequented spots, this close to Seattle fishery can be rewarding for lots of little rainbows, cutthrouts, cuttbows, and a few odd other species. Most will be 6 - 10 inches, but you'll find fish up to 16" if you work at it long enough. And these fish aren't picky most of the time. Bring elk hair caddis, royal wolff, wooly buggers, hares ear nymphs, stones, etc will usually do the trick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fish the South Fork pretty regularly from July, through September. The fly that works the best for me is a size 14 orange stimulator with white rubber legs. Four seasons fishing the SF, and have never been skunked that time of year. Creekside usually has a bunch of these flies, its just a quick hop off the freeway on your way up.
Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.