Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to plan a trip to the Mo the last 2 weeks of July for my bros 50th b-day. I've never fished it before, so I'm in the research phase. Campground recommendations? Float recommendations? Fly recommendations? Anything else I might have missed. Many thanks.

Jon

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
For camping, I like the campground at the Mid-Canon launch. Ditto the Headhunters for info or a guide if you want to spring for the bucks. It is a river that is ideal for fishing from a pontoon boat-bring your fins and an anchor and fish all the way down. I like the floats from Stickney on down to Cascade-less crowds than Holter down to Stickney and still lots of big fish. You can also hit the upper Blackfoot with lots of wading opportunities and not far away. You will have fun on this beautiful river! Rick

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not an expert but here goes... Holter Dam to Craig is where 8 out of 10 boats will float. If you are willing to go below Craig, there are many fewer people. I've found better fishing closer to the dam, but again, this isn't based on a lot of experience.

In July, typically it is a Trico show. Last time we basically broke up the day with morning fishing for the first 2 or so hours early, did other stuff and then when out after lunch for a drift. A couple days we did 2 drifts. The flies are dang small. There was a double Trico that worked and was a little easier to see. I also caught some fish on a small Griffths Gnat which doesn't do a great job imitating the Tricos but they ate it.

This is dated info- haven't been in a while, but it is a very fun place. I got chased into the river there once by a skunk. It must have looked cool.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Be prepared for a slow trip down I 90 in Montana. Lots of construction going on the bridges on that hiway. Plus the trip between Washington and Idaho at the state line. One lane both ways.

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
Big Tuna,
Your timing should be right for some very good dry fly fishing, but you will have plenty of company. We used to fish the river the 3rd week of July every year, starting about 20 years ago. Once it was "discovered" the crowding sent us elsewhere. However, there are ways to have some relative solitude.

As JD7 mentioned, mornings will be a trico game. Get yourself out of bed for some early wade fishing. The guides and dudes will not be on the water yet and you can enjoy some great fishing to trico sippers. There are many areas with islands and channels that are accessible to waders.

We would often not fish mid-day, but rather spend it at camp, the Trout Shop (the only fly shop at the time), napping, etc.

The evening caddis hatches on the Mo are as prolific as you'll find anywhere. We would often launch the kick boats at Wolf Creek Bridge in late afternoon, sometimes as late as 5-6pm. This put us well behind any other floaters. I remember times where we were only as far as the riffle at the Rock Creek Trestle (just down from the bridge) as late as 8pm, because we were slamming them. The downside to that is we often had to float out the last mile or two in the dark, with caddis crawling in our ears, down our backs...

If you're camping, staying at the campground on the river in Craig is a good option. We were usually able to score the southern-most spot along the river, and take out the boats right there at camp. Nowadays that puts you in walking distance of 3 fly shops, a couple bars, restaurants, etc. If you want more solitude, Mid-Canon is a great choice. You could do a late float to there also, and concentrate the last hours around the islands just up from camp.

PM me and I'll gladly share more info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.