Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my 3 year old daughter out fishing next weekend assuming its not raining. I am trying to make the whole experience fun and really want to get her into some fish and we don't really care what they are (Panfish, stockers, whatever).

We've tried Greenlake for trout/panfish but haven't done any good. I'm looking for suggestions on good places to take kids fishing w/in 1 hr from Seattle. Not looking for anyone's secret spot but somewhere where we can go catch a few little panfish or stocker trout. - enough to hook the little one for life on fishing. If you know a lake overpopulated with stunted bluegills it would be GREAT for a little one

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I took my son to the fishing pier at Logboom Park at the north end of Lake Washington when he was that age. We'd usually find enough perch with worms and bobbers to keep things interesting. When the kids get bored, there is a playground right there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
the dock at Dash Point used to be the go to place for us, lots of pogey's. Great! I have 3 daughters the oldest is 30 now and she still fishes with me, for steelhead too, she used to complain about putting the worm on, now she complains about breaking a nail. What the hell, she still goes out with me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Take lots of snacks and juice.
Watch the weather... don't want to get to hot or to cold.
Keep it simple, keep it fun. Kids don't care how big the fish is... just action.
Two hours is a long time for a kid with a short attention span.
Quit while they are still having fun.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I took my 4 and 5 year old daughters to a private stocked pond full of very good sized pellet fed trout. It was in Sequim next to the Olympic Game Farm. They got into fish immediately. It was really not intened to be a fishing outing but just to get them interested in the idea of fishing. It might have backfired though, they both had fun and "catching these huge fish was so easy daddy, how come you never come home with fish" was not an anticipated response. Since then they have begged me to take them out and we've gone a few times in warm weather. This year though they are really riding me to float them down a river. If summertime ever arrives I'll be happy to fill that request as often as they make it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
My daughter's (she's 6) new pink Ross Journey arrived today; it should match up well with her pink Ross Gunnison large arbor reel . . . I know someone used to make a pink fly line; I'll find it. :) I can't wait for her to try it out. I wish it were earlier in the year, just after lakes were planted, so I could get her in to some of those smaller planters . . .

Life is great being a daddy!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Denny, I gotta know where you got those reels. I have a pink 4wt DT line that I've got chopped in half, half on each of my girl's size 0 Super Large Arbors. I put those reels on their 6' ultralight spinning reels (think tiny tiny switch rod for two tiny hands, one on top and one on bottom). Not exactly conventional, but what is conventional about my approach on anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.