Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some fly line recommendations for an 8ft 3wt hardy zephrus for small creek applications with the occasional use in a small pond for sunfish/bream. Currently running the SA Amplitude Trout taper which works great in more open areas but I find it difficult to load the rod in tight spaces. I use RIO gold elite and SA infinity on my 5wt rods and have been very happy with the overall performance but do not have a lot of experience with either in tight spaces. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of trying something with a shorter/heavier head like SA Creek Trout or something similar, I very rarely need to cast my 3wt much farther than about 25-30ft

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was thinking of trying something with a shorter/heavier head like SA Creek Trout or something similar, I very rarely need to cast my 3wt much farther than about 25-30ft
While grain weight is not the whole story with a line, in general the so-called "creek lines" are a line size heavy. So if you have a true-to-weight 4 wt line, you might try that and see what you think. If you decide to go with a new line, in addition to the SA Creek Trout you mentioned, I would check out and consider the Barrio Small Stream II line. I have not cast that line, but I have, and like, the original Barrio Small Stream. It's true to weight, but has a shorter head and so it's effectively overweighted. I don't know about the SS II line, but the original SS does not have factory loops on either end in case that matters to you. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Orvis (SA) Superfine WF lines have been working real good for me. 36' head. Very sensitive, no memory, very slippery. I tried the RIO Creek line but the memory/coiling issue made the line unusable for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For a recent build, for a Kabuto 3wt I tested several lines and picked the RIO Lightline ... as documented in the attached blog

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my searching for good small creek lines, I also came across the Guideline Fario as a good choice. I also think well of the Cortland Ultralight, whe I want to reach out with a "long" rod.

Not noted in the blogs, but when testing 10' Sage ESN I like it best with the Cortland, but the RIO Guideline was no slouch. But for the 6'6" 3wt Kabuto, it was a reverse win. I think the difference lies in the core and materials in the PVC. The winner between the two was usually linked to the ease to control-form the loop .... wide or tight. Of course a graphite 10' is about as far away as from a 6'6" fiberglass.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And yes, I do have a rod paired with the Fario. :)

There are many good choices,

but I note I think there are bad choices, as too many want to create casting cannons and not trout fishing lines - where presentation and mending (mid-air and on water) is important. This is one of those cannons, I avoid.

Rectangle Parallel Font Magenta Brand

Everything is subject to their opinion. I just try to explain my opinion, which may not apply to others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for some fly line recommendations for an 8ft 3wt hardy zephrus for small creek applications with the occasional use in a small pond for sunfish/bream. Currently running the SA Amplitude Trout taper which works great in more open areas but I find it difficult to load the rod in tight spaces. I use RIO gold elite and SA infinity on my 5wt rods and have been very happy with the overall performance but do not have a lot of experience with either in tight spaces. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Orvis one weight and Sage zero weight have been my go to rods for small creek and medium stream adventures.
Love both, no preference one over the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts