Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish the Redington Vice as of yet?

I still cringe when I think back to the day I broke my 6 wt CPS. While Redington customer service was quick to replace it, the CPS had been discontinued and I ended up getting a CPX instead.....just wasn't the same.

I will try to get one in hand and cast it at some point as soon as I can free up to go to a fly shop, but curious to hear feedback on thread or via PM regarding the Vice.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Never cast the Vice.
Really liked the CPS. CPX sucked in my opinion. Stiff and soulless.
Those that broke their CPS models and received a CPX as a replacement were as you mentioned disappointed.

Just curious, did you read or hear somewhere that the Vise had a similar action or feel to the CPS?
If so, that would be a good thing.
SF

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Yeah I think technically the the CPS is the predecessor of the Vapen. I actually haven't heard anything on the Vice. Just checked it out online and it sounds like it could be nice. I don't think Redington has made a better rod than the CPS though. I still have a 9'6" 7wt. Broke the tip once a couple years ago but luckily they had a replacement tip for it. I'd love to find a 9'6" 6wt CPS. I'd be interested to cast the Vice, new Predator, and Hydrogen.

Actually, looking closer at the weights the Vice might be the CPS reborn. Much lighter than the Predator for a given size/wt, described as "easy-casting fast action," and has more size options than the Vapen similar to the CPS. Probably worth a look at only $200.

·
14,853 Posts
Matt,
I have two 9664S CPS models (9'6" 6 wt).
I'll be honest with you, they tend more towards a 7 wt in my opinion.
Excellent salmon beach rod but if you were thinking of one or searun cutts, I think you'd be disappointed.
SF

·
3,286 Posts
I can see that actually. I cast 8wt outbounds on my 9'6" 7wt. It's a bit overlined compared to an actual 8wt but not much. I assume they didn't make a 5wt CPS with fighting butt?

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Hmmmm, I like the looks and description of the 9'6" 6wt with fighting butt. That might be my next fly rod. Between med/fast and fast action sounds about like my speed, and the price is still within the ballpark. I could use a better beach fishing rod than what I'm now using. I have a 9'9" 6 wt Fenwick Iron Feather, but I don't like the reel seat, nor the lack of a fighting butt, and the cork grip had been sanded down just a hair too skinny by the former owner... and it could use a larger stripping guide. Sometimes I use my 9' 5wt, but I could use a better 6wt setup.
Coming early 2017, I might go for a whole new ball of wax! Rod, reel and line.

·
14,853 Posts
I can see that actually. I cast 8wt outbounds on my 9'6" 7wt. It's a bit overlined compared to an actual 8wt but not much. I assume they didn't make a 5wt CPS with fighting butt?
No CPS 5 wt with a fighting butt that I know of. I had a CPS 5 wt, but sold it.
Just wasn't using it and did wish it had a fighting butt. I like the size of the fighting butt on the Vise. I think the one on CPS rods is a bit large for the rod wt.

I'd like to try out the 9' 7 wt to see whether it would make a good all-around streamer chucker
Brian,
I bet with the action they describe, that would be a nice streamer rod.
If you end up liking it and buying one, now that Redington is more well know it might be easier to find a replacement if you break one.
Maybe they'll produce more of them then they did the CPS?
CPS models seem pop up for sale every now and then, but can be hard to find in certain wts.
SF

·
3,286 Posts
I doubt they'll stock many replacements very long after the rod is replaced in their lineup. They usually stock extra tips longer than full rods. If it's within a couple years of purchase you'll likely be ok, after that you'll probably get the next version.

·
14,853 Posts
I doubt they'll stock many replacements very long after the rod is replaced in their lineup. They usually stock extra tips longer than full rods. If it's within a couple years of purchase you'll likely be ok, after that you'll probably get the next version.
I wouldn't expect them to have any replacements after they discontinue a model, especially with their exchange rather then repair policy.

The CPS came out in what, 2006 maybe?
Redington wasn't nearly as popular then as they now are. My thought is with more dealers and rods being sold, they might produce more rods then they did when the CPS was being produced.
That might make it easier to buy a used one if you broke the one you like and didn't want the replacement model....or you can do it the stonefish way......just buy two. :)
SF

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
No comment on the old rods, but the new Predator is every bit the streamer beast they say it is. I'm not an ultra-fast rod guy, and I find it easy to cast 20-80 feet with the 8wt and a good sized streamer. It also lifted a 19" brown with ease on its maiden voyage.

These days it's pretty tough to justify the $500 for a mid-range rod with the quality $300 rods Redington and Echo are putting out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
As far as replacements go, I took in my Redington Link with a busted tip a few weeks ago thinking I was going to end up with something else but they were able to replace it with a brand new Link.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I sold all of my CPS rods several years ago. I got pissed when I broke the 8 wt. and they replaced it with the crap CPX. I didn't want them to break and end up with that junk. Anyway, I recently came into an 8"6" 5 wt. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. It immediately became fishy on a Yakima float. They were fine rods and Redington, like most other manufacturers, succumbed to the "new technology" trap. They haven't come out with anything close since IMHO.

·
3,286 Posts
I sold all of my CPS rods several years ago. I got pissed when I broke the 8 wt. and they replaced it with the crap CPX. I didn't want them to break and end up with that junk. Anyway, I recently came into an 8"6" 5 wt. I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon. It immediately became fishy on a Yakima float. They were fine rods and Redington, like most other manufacturers, succumbed to the "new technology" trap. They haven't come out with anything close since IMHO.
Yeah but you hinted at their biggest problem...they're pretty fragile. I bought a new RS4 when the CPS was still around. It's a great casting rod but quite heavy. As a result that thing is almost indestructible! My RS4 is an 8wt and the only one I've cast, but I have a feeling the lower weight rods would have been pretty nice (and tough).

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,752 Posts
Yeah but you hinted at their biggest problem...they're pretty fragile. I bought a new RS4 when the CPS was still around. It's a great casting rod but quite heavy. As a result that thing is almost indestructible! My RS4 is an 8wt and the only one I've cast, but I have a feeling the lower weight rods would have been pretty nice (and tough).
I have one of those(RS4) in a 10, and even though I haven't used it in several years, I can't bring myself to get rid of it just yet (despite having--to me--my personal holy grail of 10wts).

that 9'6" 6wt Vice looks like it would make a fantastic surf perch rod...

·
Registered
116 Posts
No comment on the old rods, but the new Predator is every bit the streamer beast they say it is. I'm not an ultra-fast rod guy, and I find it easy to cast 20-80 feet with the 8wt and a good sized streamer. It also lifted a 19" brown with ease on its maiden voyage.

These days it's pretty tough to justify the $500 for a mid-range rod with the quality $300 rods Redington and Echo are putting out.
I agree about the new predator, it casts like a champ. I have a 6wt, and the saltwater guide set makes it a great backup rod for the beach.

·
3,286 Posts
We got one in the store a 9ft 5 wt although i have not cast it i can tell you that it is light and fast and for a fast rod it feels good especially for the price point.
Predator or Vice? The 5 wt predator seemed to have a much softer tip than the 6wt predator and seemed like it could be pretty sweet. Need to go do some casting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.