Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Tough decision. Both very similar entry level rods. The ENCOUNTER is imported and I would guess the PATH is too. Personally, I'd go for the Orvis.
I'm wondering why the 6wt choice? What are you fishing for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking 6wt to give the option of bigger fish than panfish and trout but not be over kill? From things I've been reading a 5wt leans towards smaller waters and fish, but I don't want to over do it with an 8wt...I'm looking for one rod that can cover various sizes of fish and bodies of water. Any guidance or opinion on this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Either the 5 wt or 6wt would be ok. Both makes being quite similar it may just come down to which appeals to you aesthetically. Orvis has limited warranty, Reddington is lifetime.
Be nice if you could go wiggle them in a shop. I think Sportmans Warehouse carries the PATH and I see they are now carrying a lot of Orvis products so they may have the ENCOUNTER too.

Orvis has a nice 15% off now on their website.

Good luck. There must be some reviews of these rods on-line.
Jack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either the 5 wt or 6wt would be ok. Both makes being quite similar it may just come down to which appeals to you aesthetically. Orvis has limited warranty, Reddington is lifetime.
Be nice if you could go wiggle them in a shop. I think Sportmans Warehouse carries the PATH and I see they are now carrying a lot of Orvis products so they may have the ENCOUNTER too.

Orvis has a nice 15% off now on their website.

Good luck. There must be some reviews of these rods on-line.
Jack
Thanks Jack. The online reviews seem to be very close, so yeah it might be a matter of just getting the feel of either. I appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spend a little more and get a Redington Vice. I’ve got a 5wt that’s my “all purpose” and casts really well. I’ve got a Path and it’s my back up. The Vice just has that little extra backbone when you need it but is still sensitive on smaller nibbles. I have some Or is stuff and have been slowly purging them and replacing with all Redington. With Sage being a WA company, and I have friend that works for Far Bank I like to support most things from WA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spend a little more and get a Redington Vice. I’ve got a 5wt that’s my “all purpose” and casts really well. I’ve got a Path and it’s my back up. The Vice just has that little extra backbone when you need it but is still sensitive on smaller nibbles. I have some Or is stuff and have been slowly purging them and replacing with all Redington. With Sage being a WA company, and I have friend that works for Far Bank I like to support most things from WA.
Well that seals the deal for me, I always try to support PNW businesses. Redington it is...thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There really isn't that much difference between a 5wt and a 6wt. I started with 6wt back in 1972, and only recently changed things up by adding 4&5wts to my lineup. I recently landed a 18 inch Brown on my 4wt.
My recommendation is the Redington Classic Trout in 5 or 6wt. I know you are looking for an outfit with reel and line. Redington offers reels that are affordable so you can put together a better outfit for just a few more dollars, well probably quite a few more, but you will have a setup that you will not be replacing soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both are great rod companies. If you go orvis consider upgrading to the Clearwater series. Better warranty and higher quality over Encounter. I would also look into Reddington CT as previously suggested if you go with Reddington. I have both and Clearwater may have slight edge for general purpose fishing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cast a 10 ft 8 wt Redington vice and hated it. Build was cheap and it was clunky. An overlooked option is TFO, their rods are excellent and fairly priced. My main rod is an axiom 2x and I love it.

If you want to stick with redington I used to have the 3wt classic trout and it was a very nice rod. I don’t fish for trout enough so I ended up getting rid of it but it was definitely a sweet stick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts