Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good morning.

I found a real nice Sage LL 3 wt. I'm a relative newcomer to light rods, so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good line for small streams, ponds, and small lakes that will get the most out of this rod.

Also, what reel? I'm more concerned about line, and whether I should go up a half weight, but any reel recommendations would be helpful as well.

Western Washington mostly, but a few trips to Montana is usually my M.O.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I recently looked and and purchased a 3 wt Airflo Super Dry Elite,
for my Sage LL 2 wt. Thing cast like a dream. As far as the reel goes, I have a Hardy flyweight on it. Works good but the boys over at Pacific Fly Fishers showed me a Redington Zero reel that looks interesting. Runs ~ $90.00. Just my $0.02.

2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that you are running 3wt line on your 2wt rod. I'm wondering if I should get 4wt for my 3 wt.
I don't have any 4wt lying around to try. My casting skills are middle of the road.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I see that you are running 3wt line on your 2wt rod. I'm wondering if I should get 4wt for my 3 wt.
I don't have any 4wt lying around to try. My casting skills are middle of the road.
I would stick with the 3 wt, but you could ask the shop to let you try a 4 wt if that is where you want to go. I would try the 3 wt first. That Airflo is a very sweet line. I like it much better than the Rio Gold I have on another reel for another rod.

2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sounds like some good advice. I may try the Airflow. I just need to figure out a reel. I don't want to get too heavy of a reel. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking something around 2.8 oz. like an Orvis Battenkill I. On a 7'9" rod would that be too light?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The Redington Zero is touted as the lightest reel on the market.
You might want to take a look at it.

ED: 2.7 oz in the 3/4 wt reel. I have not seen anything lighter. BUT, and there is always that ugly but, it is a click an pawl reel. No disk drag. But with a 3 wt, you are pretty much kidding yourself with a disk drag on the reel. I am assuming that you will not be targeting steelhead or salmon with it.

2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Click pawl is OK. On small fish, I would think that I would strip the line in by hand anyway. I watched my dad fly fish for 50 years and I don't think I ever saw him catch a trout by reeling it in. But he was old school in a lot of ways. Best fisherman I ever saw.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Get an Airflo elite or a river and stream.

After fishing rio lines and airflo, I find the airflo are much more durable and do not tangle due to very little memory.

Only problem with airflo is it is harder to find. However they are way ahead of rio with line tech, take in touch for example. Airflo had a low stretch core for 20 years before the intouch cores came out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.