Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading all the remarks about the wonderful and elusive steelhead and how they rip the line down to the backing in milliseconds, so wouldn't be advantagious to have a multiplier reel? Are there any out there of sufficient quality, or is it considered an un-fair advantage to use one?

Thanks for all the insight and inspiration!

·
Registered
385 Posts
They use a gear reduction system to acheive multiple revolutions of the spool for each revolution of the handle, like a spinning oe casting type reel. IMHO, I feel like I loose contact with the fish, and yes also gain an unfair advantage. This is a topic of great debate, but It is definatly a personal preferance. If I fished offshore, or for fish over 45lbs, I would more than likely have a differant view of them. :smokin

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Multiplier reels were, at one time, manufactured by Hardy, Martin and others; I don't know if anyone is still manufacturing them. Most flyfishers felt that the quick retrieve was outweighed by the considerable additional weight and complexity. If there were any definitive advantages to the mutiplier reel, I would think that salt water anglers would have flocked to them, but they haven't. Steelhead are not all that fast and don't run all that far; many people don't even feel that a disc drag is really essential for steelhead fishing. Over the years I've caught a lot of steelhead on an old click and pawl Hardy St. Aidan that doesn't even have a palming rim, and I've never felt that I lost one because of the reel.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

There is one in the new Cabela's 2003 fly fishing Catalog. It is made by Martin. It has a 3:1 gear ratio no palming and only costs around $50.00. And it weights in at 8.4 oz.

Jim

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
Multiplier fly reels were a "flash in the pan" technology from about 15-20 years back...They proved heavy and overly complicated for the job...Simple is better...IMO the basic fly reel is a pretty bullet proof design and can't really be "improved".

:professor

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Years ago (back in the 80's) I had a Cortland 333 Multipling Fly Reel. I caught my first steelhead on it, and really just loved it. But during my non-fishing days, I sold it, and now wish I hadn't.

But quite frankly the new wide arbor reels accomplish the same thing, bringing the line in faster, so multiplying reels are something of a moot point.

But I just loved that 333.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.