Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Oncorhynchus clarki clarki
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am sure some of you know this, because I posted earlier asking what rod to make. Well now I need some help choosing a reel. I am building a 9' 8wt with a St. Croix SCIV blank for the winter runs, but I don't know exactly what reel I should get. I have been looking around for awhile now, but I would like to hear what you guys think. If at all possible, I don't want to spend much, I know a good reel with a disc drag system can cost a lot, that is why I am asking for some help. I know I am going to have to spend some money, so I want to make sure I am getting a good reel for a good price. So, if someone could help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Sly

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a St Croix Imperial 9' 8wt and I use a Tioga #8. It is a rock solid reel that will stop a frieght train in its tracks if you cinch up the drag. Simple, no parts to break...very easy to clean and oil. The spare spools are only $48.

Look on ebay...you can get them for under a hundred or $110 new.

I would not get the Large Arbor for winter run....you will need the line capacity.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
Check out Okuma reels. The spare spool for my Sierra 7/8 is only $17 and I don't hesitate to have several. My Lamson/Watermark Velocity has $95 spools, and I have only one, and have been considering another for a few months.

My Sierra has been a fine reel in saltwater and fresh. I can't claim great catch statistics, but I know who has: Fish Pirate, and his Integrity have beated many fish into submission here and in Alaska. We had a big discussion on Okuma reels less than a month ago, you should check it out, its titled "Okuma".

Rob

==========
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I also use the Okuma Sierra 7/8 on a St Croix #7 and A Lomis #8. That disk drag is slick, but then all I've ever known were the palm drag reels. It got me on the river at a minimal cost which is always a plus. No regrets.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I'd be all over the Tioga. Machined, great drag, affordable, and durable. If you fall down, and you eventually will if you steelhead fish much on rivers, it won't bend as easily as a cast reel. And, if you have a woody for a large arbor reel, get the Tioga 10 in the large arbor. Otherwise, the Tioga 8 in a standard spool format would suffice. The large arbor would really cut down on backing capacity.

The Okuma is a good value if a person doesn't fish much. It is cast, and the finish and metal is soft and very susceptible to scratching. The drag works pretty well, but the roller bearings have been known to fail. Been there, done that. I'm not saying it's an OK reel; it's just not built for the long haul or for durability, but with a mind towards economy. A little along the lines of "you get what you pay for."

That Tioga is a waaaay better value. To quote Hans and Franz of Saturday night live, "Listen to me now and believe me later." :THUMBSUP

Oh, if you're trying to figure out a line, check out the Rio or the Airflo multi-tip systems. Although the fly lines are expensive initially, they really can save you money and offer a lot of versatility. With each one you get four different tips: floating, intermediate, 3" per second sink, and 7" per second sink. So, in essence you have 4 different lines. And, unlike if you had four different lines, you don't have to buy extra spools, backing for them, etc. They really are a way to go. I have three of them, in 5 weight, 7 weight, and 9 weight. My buddy has a similar system for warm saltwater (tuna, dorado, etc.) for 10 weight to 12 weight, and thinks its the cat's meow.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If I would of known of the Tioga 2001-2 series, I would of bought it. But since I found the deal of the decade, a new Lamson Litespeed 3 for 200.00, I couldn't resist. I use the Litespeed for my 7w 10' GLX. This is my main Steelhead rod.
The bad part was spending 100.00 on an extra spool, but the difference if I paid new for the reel paid off.

The Tioga is an EXCELLENT deal at 140.00, considering the Tiogas have an UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY and molded from bar stock aluminum and the newer 2001-2 model is ALOT lighter and the extra spools are only 40.00!
I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my 5w 9' Legend ultra Croix.

PS, anyone want to buy my inconsistant crappy-drag Okumas? :THUMBSUP :TONGUE

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
I fish probably 100 days a year. And I fish Okuma.

I really don't care about how the finish performs, I care how the reel performs.

Please take care when bad mouthing equipment that you don't bad mouth the angler who buys it, they might be smarter than they look.

Rob

==========
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Okuma for the money, and the Tioga if you have to have a machined reel. It's too bad you did'nt ask this last week, Orvis just sold all of its remaining Redington stock. I picked up the Redington RS2 large arbor reels for $40.00 a pop, in the 7/8wt models and the 9/10wt models. They are all gone now though, I checked today :EEK

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I Just recently found this reel made by Galvan. It's called the Galvan Open Back fly reel. My buddy bought one, he loves it(he's bonefishing with it as we speak). THis reel is sooo sweet. Runs about 3 bills, and is so much better then the Teton or Tioga(their cheaper though). If you have the funds, check it out. WWW.galvanflyreels.com They have them at the Rabid Wrangler, excuse me, Avid Angler. :THUMBSUP YT

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I like the Tioga I have for my 8 wt., but I like the Lamson Velocities I have for my 6 and 10 wts. better. As I think someone else said, if you want to go for the large arbor Tioga, you need to buy a reel for a higher line weight because the large arbor 8 wt. reel from Tioga really does not have adequate backing capacity. The Lamson Velocity is about $100 more than the Tioga in the comparable line weight, but I think the quality is at least $100 better and has more than adequate backing capacity. I coveted the Lamson Litespeed for both my 6 and 10 wts., but could not bring myself to pay the extra dough for a reel that has the exact same drag as the Velocity and weighs literally only a 10th or 2 of an ounce less. In other words, the Velocity is basically the same reel as the Litespeed but doesn't look as cool (and the name "Litespeed" should not be construed to mean "lighter" in weight). Price doesn't always equate to quality, but spend as much money as you can afford to buy as good a reel as you can when you're getting a set up for chasing larger fish.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended anyone who uses Okuma fly reels. Maybe I should of just said "inconsistant" rather than "crappy". The reels are an excellent choice for the budget minded fishers "but" if you fish say 5-6 times a month, I truely would not recommend. I went through 3 reels in 2 years. The drag on them kept on moving with just a slight brush of my jacket and the spring in one of them broke in just 3 mos. What really bothered me is the drag on 2 of the reels played as if there was sand in them? There wasn't and I couldn't figure it out. Lots of big fish lost due to the "inconsistancies" of the particular Okuma reels I had.
As far as me bad mouthing Okumas, I wouldn't go that far. If someone bad mouthed my Subaru Outback for not having enough power honestly I wouldn't care, if I had the money I would get something "better" and more "powerful", but "at the time", I spent what I could "afford" .
Honestly for what I paid for my Okuma at Sportco, 30.00. You can't beat the price for a starter reel.
I would strongly suggest the Orvis Battenkill disc drag for 6 wt and under rods. At 98.00 and an AWESOME DRAG and UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY, you cannot go wrong. You will feel most secure and have peace of mind.
PS, the Tioga is say 130.00, and the Lamson Velocity is 200.00. Tioga extra spools are 40.00, the Velocity 85.00. The Velocity has a Top Line drag, the Tioga middle of the line. They are both "Sealed" drag systems. The Tioga is 7.1 oz, the Velocity is 6.5.
What are the justifications?
Heres my opinion, be patient and find a Velocity/Litespeed on Ebay. There is at least 1 great deal a month for Lamson reels. Thats how I got my Litespeed. You CAN have the best with just a little patience and time... :WINK

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks everybody, this has been a lot of help. I was looking at the Lamson Velocity 3, but the price was a little to much, but, I am still thinking of getting it anyway, I know I will if I can find a good deal. I will also look into the Tioga probably because the price is more in my range. Thanks again, this has been a lot of help.

-Sly

·
Registered
105 Posts
My two reels I use are a lamson velocity 2 and a tioga large arbor. The Velocity is hands down a better reel. I use it on my 6wt and will often choose it over my 8wt/tioga combo for steelhead/silvers, because the reel handles the larger fish better. The tioga is a great reel though, and for the price you wont find a better product. If you can afford it, go with the velocity. If not, the tioga wont dissapoint you.

·
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, "If you can afford it, go with the velocity. If not, the tioga wont dissapoint you." Is exactly what I decided to do. I am going to look a around a little more and I might go with the Velocity if I can come up with the money. I have a little while to save and think about it, because I just got my blank for the rod yesterday, I haven't even started to build it yet, so I will have that time to think about it. I might want it to test the loading on it before I set the guides, so I guess I don't have to much time, oh well, thanks for your help.

-Sly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.