Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,782 Posts
If I would of known of the Tioga 2001-2 series, I would of bought it. But since I found the deal of the decade, a new Lamson Litespeed 3 for 200.00, I couldn't resist. I use the Litespeed for my 7w 10' GLX. This is my main Steelhead rod.
The bad part was spending 100.00 on an extra spool, but the difference if I paid new for the reel paid off.

The Tioga is an EXCELLENT deal at 140.00, considering the Tiogas have an UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY and molded from bar stock aluminum and the newer 2001-2 model is ALOT lighter and the extra spools are only 40.00!
I'm seriously thinking of getting one for my 5w 9' Legend ultra Croix.

PS, anyone want to buy my inconsistant crappy-drag Okumas? :THUMBSUP :TONGUE

· Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended anyone who uses Okuma fly reels. Maybe I should of just said "inconsistant" rather than "crappy". The reels are an excellent choice for the budget minded fishers "but" if you fish say 5-6 times a month, I truely would not recommend. I went through 3 reels in 2 years. The drag on them kept on moving with just a slight brush of my jacket and the spring in one of them broke in just 3 mos. What really bothered me is the drag on 2 of the reels played as if there was sand in them? There wasn't and I couldn't figure it out. Lots of big fish lost due to the "inconsistancies" of the particular Okuma reels I had.
As far as me bad mouthing Okumas, I wouldn't go that far. If someone bad mouthed my Subaru Outback for not having enough power honestly I wouldn't care, if I had the money I would get something "better" and more "powerful", but "at the time", I spent what I could "afford" .
Honestly for what I paid for my Okuma at Sportco, 30.00. You can't beat the price for a starter reel.
I would strongly suggest the Orvis Battenkill disc drag for 6 wt and under rods. At 98.00 and an AWESOME DRAG and UNCONDITIONAL WARRANTY, you cannot go wrong. You will feel most secure and have peace of mind.
PS, the Tioga is say 130.00, and the Lamson Velocity is 200.00. Tioga extra spools are 40.00, the Velocity 85.00. The Velocity has a Top Line drag, the Tioga middle of the line. They are both "Sealed" drag systems. The Tioga is 7.1 oz, the Velocity is 6.5.
What are the justifications?
Heres my opinion, be patient and find a Velocity/Litespeed on Ebay. There is at least 1 great deal a month for Lamson reels. Thats how I got my Litespeed. You CAN have the best with just a little patience and time... :WINK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.