Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Been steelhead fishing once
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my going away gift from ME to WA my fishing buddies got me a vintage CFO III.

I know nothing of reel maintenance except to rinse off saltwater. This CFO is old and the grease is like gum now. I will clean it out but then what?

What kind of grease on what parts and what kind of oil on other parts?

I figure any basic oil like Reel X for the spindle is fine. Just bearing grease for the gears?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I do some partial disassembly for this. Take the pawls off their posts, the springs can usually stay on the frame but can be removed if you want. Take the latch release cover off the spool carefully so you don’t lose the spring and latch that are in there. WD-40 will soften the hardened grease to make it easy to clean off. Get all that old stuff off especially in the spool release as that will become troublesome with hardened grease. Reassemble and lube with product of choice. Abu Garcia has a product called Silicote in both oil and grease that works well at a low price. Quantum Hot Sauce is popular but cost considerably more. Also Ardent Reel Butter, Penn Reel Grease, etc. You should be able to find these at Cabelas / Bass Pro. Remember a little goes a long way. I don’t use oil as it migrates all over the place on a fly reel (line and backing). Thin coats of grease stay in place.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.