Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1961 Orvis Battenkill, 8 ft. 2 pc. HCH (6/7 weight) and I'm thinking about a more classic style reel for it. Medalist immediately comes to mind, perhaps a 1492-1/2 or 1495, but what others would you recommend that won't break the bank?

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,752 Posts
I've always liked SA System 2's for their simplistic styling and being tough as nails while heavy enough to balance out my glass rods.

Tough to go wrong with a medalist though.

edit: almost forgot, an old Young Beaudex or Pridex would also be heavy enough (probably something like a 3 1/2" wide) to balance things out, plus they sound sweet, they look classy (personally, I like them more than any Hardy I've come across), won't break the bank and won't ever break.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You’ve gotten good advice so far. I’d also consider the Medalist 1494 or even 1494 &1/2 (the 1492 & 1/2 seems small to me). If you want a little better reel maybe a Hardy Marquis sized for a WF 6 line. These or the Scientific Anglers version can be found reasonably.
Enjoy the rod.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
About 80% of the time I use a 5wt. 100% of my 5wt time I am using a 3 1/4" Hardy Marquis #6. They come in other sizes too.

Font Number Parallel Document Rectangle

Reactions: freestoneangler

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
A Medalist 1494 or Young will balance the rod better than a Hardy product because the Battenkill is fairly tip heavy compared to fiberglass or graphite counterparts. Still I've seen a lot of bamboo rods in that size range fitted with Hardy models from the Lightweight series to the ancient Uniqua. Actually, a Hardy Perfect will come close to balancing as well as the Medalist or Young. I always forget about Perfects because I don't do right hand wind.

Sg

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a 1961 Orvis Battenkill, 8 ft. 2 pc. HCH (6/7 weight) and I'm thinking about a more classic style reel for it. Medalist immediately comes to mind, perhaps a 1492-1/2 or 1495, but what others would you recommend that won't break the bank?
Medalist 1492 too small/light. 1494 probably same. 1495 should work. How about looking for an old CFO or Battenkill?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just got a like new Battenkill Disc for $140. Several click and pawls for less. Hardys are also going fairly cheap now but Medalists seem to be going up in price (?)

However, I also paid about $150 for my perfect a few years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.