Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picke up an Echo SR 4106 10'6" 4wt switch rod and am looking for good reel suggestions. I'm thinking about running a couple spools, one with a regular weight forward floating line, and one with a Commando head. What say you for this setup?

·
282 Posts
I picke up an Echo SR 4106 10'6" 4wt switch rod and am looking for good reel suggestions. I'm thinking about running a couple spools, one with a regular weight forward floating line, and one with a Commando head. What say you for this setup?
What wt commando head you going to running? I have a similar rod I was thinking about doing the same on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm considering the OPST 225 commando, with MOW tips. I was thinking a touch heavier on the commando grains, but I think a MOW tip should be figured into the weight there. If I was throwing a poly leader, then maybe larger. I don't know for sure yet though, still doing some research there.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
buy the Ross Cimarron 4 with 2 spare spools and covers I have listed in the classifieds. $165 shipped in USA.
Use the search forums under classifieds for Ross Cimarron 4 . I think it would balance well on that rod. Thanks

·
282 Posts
I'm considering the OPST 225 commando, with MOW tips. I was thinking a touch heavier on the commando grains, but I think a MOW tip should be figured into the weight there. If I was throwing a poly leader, then maybe larger. I don't know for sure yet though, still doing some research there.
I really wish there was some place close to test cast those commando heads. They aren't cheap. I guess one could always just sell it as a test casted head and recoup most funds. 225 should be close. I've got a 11' 3/4wt fiberglass switch and on there website there are 4 choices ranging from 150gr-225gr listed to work with 3 and 4wt rods. I just want to cast them all you know.
As for reels, right now i've got an older battenkill 7/8 on it spooled up with an 5wt Ambush line. Balances out pretty nice weight wise and that Ambush line is quite a rocket. That Cimmarron 4 looks almost identical to the older battenkills. Also looks like a pretty good deal with extra spools. I would take a Ross reel over on Orvis reel all day long. Hey @greenriver you should repost that listing so folks can replay to it as of now its closed for further replys.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you located? I just ordered the 225. I'd be happy to hook up and you can cast it. I tried to check out the Ross but couldn't find the listing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greenriver checked the Ross with a bigger line on it and it won't quite work unfortunately. Any other suggestions from anyone on a good pairing for this rod and that line?

·
New Member (since 2006)
44 Posts
A Ross Gunnison 4 (5.4 oz) holds a Rio Skagit Max Short 225 gr, 20 lb Airflo running line, 10' tip, plenty of backing, and balances quite nicely on my SR 4106. My only opportunity to cast it with that setup so far was very brief and in a nasty wind so I can't really say much yet about how well that head matches up with the rod. Before getting the Rio head I asked OPST for their recommendation for the rod - they suggested the 225 Commando with a tip in the 80 gr area. At the time I needed to get the head my shop didn't have the OPST in stock so I didn't need to decide between it and the Rio. Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Speyco reels now. They are click/pawl drag reels. A Speyco Switch 3-3/4 would do the trick. But if you are looking for more modern disc/drag reels, I do have a couple Amundson reels. The one in my avatar is a Wind Warrior Feather Lite. I used to get them through Larry @ flyroddersheaven.net. He lives in Puyallup, and is a great guy to deal with. There is a wide price range. I would get a Trend or TXS in the 7-8 wt range. If you like a bit lighter reel, the WW Feather Lite is a great reel!

http://www.flyroddersheaven.net/fly-reel-amundson.html Amundson Reels

http://speyshop.blogspot.com/2014/10/speyco-fly-reels.html Speyco Reels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.