Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a 16ft drift boat in Oregon. It comes with a trailer but Oregon does not require registration for trailers of this length while obviously WA does. The owner has the boat title but no trailer title. The owner has a "certificate with a serial number" for the trailer but no VIN.

What is the process I need to go through to get it registered in WA? Do I have to do the whole rebuild title stuff with state patrol or can I just roll into the DOL with my bill of sale and handle it there?

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I sold a little boat on a trailer several years ago from Oregon I just didn't use much because I didn't have time. I remember it being a huge pain in the ass and I was even available to go to the licensing place with the guy that purchased the boat. I remember it was quite a process and it even had to be looked over by the sheriff department and for awhile each time we tried to license it we got a different story for awhile from the licensing department on what exactly we needed to do. We finally got it licensed but it took awhile.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
That being said @golfman44 a little charm and the right clerk and I have a feeling you could have her licensed real quick...I don't think most of them know the correct rules.

We just kept getting one story after another. I think the Sheriff even called the licensing place for us it was such a pain in the ass....

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 16ft drift boat in Oregon. It comes with a trailer but Oregon does not require registration for trailers of this length while obviously WA does. The owner has the boat title but no trailer title.

What is the process I need to go through to get it registered in WA? Do I have to do the whole rebuild title stuff with state patrol or can I just roll into the DOL with my bill of sale and handle it there?
I do believe a bill of sale from Oregon and a WA state inspection is all you need.

·
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so the guy has the original certificate of origin from Adam's Manufacturing that indicates it was sold to clackacraft drift boats. It has the weight, model #, and a serial #, but no vin #.

I don't think this helps me, it sounds like I need the VIN # for WA.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Okay, so the guy has the original certificate of origin from Adam's Manufacturing that indicates it was sold to clackacraft drift boats. It has the weight, model #, and a serial #, but no vin #.

I don't think this helps me, it sounds like I need the VIN # for WA.
If you go have inspection done, the WSP will give you a VIN and stamp trailer with it. Or at least they used to.

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
My Ranger bass boat came from Oregon. They freaked out when I didn't have a title for it.

I had to get my brother, an attorney, to talk to the guys up here. They were completely unaware. He explained to them that "you can't make people have different laws than they do, in a foreign country".

It all worked out.

·
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you go have inspection done, the WSP will give you a VIN and stamp trailer with it. Or at least they used to.
That was my understanding as well based on what I read on cry fish.

Based on this thread and the other, it sounds like the steps are:

1) Get the trailer officially weighed by WSP (apparently I can pull over onto one of the truck weigh stations).

2) Schedule an inspection with WSP. They will check the bill of sale and official weight. If it has a VIN they will do a search for reports of it being stolen, etc. If there is no VIN they will stamp w/ a new VIN.

3) Go to DOL, show them the bill of sale and inspection papers, pay all the fees and taxes, and you get your registration. If there was no original VIN then they only issue a 3 year provisional title. If after 3 years nobody has declared your trailer stolen then you can go back to the DOL and apply for a permanent one.

Sounds like a couple hundred bucks and some annoyances but not too terrible I guess.

Appreciate the help

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Call the State Patrol and ask them what you need to do to make an appointment with them, where and when, etc. But I would talk to the licensing people first. You might not need to go to WSP for an inspection, with all of the documentation you already have. They're not going to engrave a new VIN on the trailer if it already has one.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would suggest that you call your county auditor and tell them what you have for paperwork and ask them what steps you need to take. One thing to make sure is that you have a separate bill of sale for the trailer. If you intend to have the boat licensed you will need a separate bill of sale for it. The auditor's office does this stuff everyday and they know the drill. Vehicles w/o titles require a lot more effort to license. Follow the steps provide by the DOL and the auditor's office and it should go smoothly. You can also find out more info about this on the WA DOL website. Good Luck!

·
Registered
767 Posts
It was a long time ago, like 1993 when I bought a Lund Fish-N-Ski (walk through window to open bow, sleeper seats). As you have found out, boat has title, trailer does not if from Ore-e-gone.

It seems to me any licensing place has a form that a new owner provides for certified scale attendant to fill out trailer scale weight. Take scale weight form, Oregon boat title, bill of sale to WSP inspection.

Back then, a boat trailer could be weighed anywhere there is a certified scale.

Since I could weigh trailer at Kenmore Sand and Gravel, and use Kenmore boat ramp to beach boat for 10 minute round trip from ramp to Sand and gravel and back again, that is what worked for me.

WSP stamped tongue of boat trailer.

Take: bill of sale, Oregon boat title, WSP trailer inspection form to DOL.

I had no trouble, no fuss walking with registration for boat and trailer, license plate, boat and trailer tabs. Titles for both came in mail some time later.

·
livin' the dream
1,672 Posts
That was my understanding as well based on what I read on cry fish.

Based on this thread and the other, it sounds like the steps are:

1) Get the trailer officially weighed by WSP (apparently I can pull over onto one of the truck weigh stations).

2) Schedule an inspection with WSP. They will check the bill of sale and official weight. If it has a VIN they will do a search for reports of it being stolen, etc. If there is no VIN they will stamp w/ a new VIN.

3) Go to DOL, show them the bill of sale and inspection papers, pay all the fees and taxes, and you get your registration. If there was no original VIN then they only issue a 3 year provisional title. If after 3 years nobody has declared your trailer stolen then you can go back to the DOL and apply for a permanent one.

Sounds like a couple hundred bucks and some annoyances but not too terrible I guess.

Appreciate the help
Freedom

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I once bought a trailer that had no title, but I had a notarized bill of sale & the trailer did have a VIN. I got plates & a registration slip immediately, but had to wait 3 years before I could apply for a title. I applied after 3 years and received a clear title shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah...oregon trailers create some hassle. I've spent hours at the Canadian border trying to get my drift boat up to BC. Some years I scoot through. Others I get hung up on the no trailer license thing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.