Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.....I am going to take a guy that I work with flyfishing. He has been flyfisihing before, but is still VERY new. As I have learned from experience, if you dont really catch anything on your first trip - you have a hard time staying with it. I'd like to get this guy out and get him into some regular old trout. Size is not an issue - Just Fish! I dont want to take him and try for steelhead or whatever, as I still dont know what the heck to do on that side of things. Trout I know, but I dont know where in Washington. I am not looking for the mega-drive from the Tacoma area. In all honesty - it doesnt matter if the fish are 8 inches long - I just want to get this guy into some fish this weekend. Being new to the area, its kinda hard to find fishin buddies, and he is a coworker and a likely candidate to stick with the fly fishing thing. Where should I take this guy to get into some trout? He has a 5wt, I will be using my 3 wt. Any Input will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a couple of friends who are newer than I am to flyfishing. I have found that they are not as die-hard as I am (sitting in a float tube in a lake January or February). Maybe something like the forks of the Snoqualmie River or the Yakima?? The Yak may be a bit of a "mega-drive," but with a new friend the get-aquinted time isn't all bad.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Your question is not an easy one, particularly in mid-January. Don't take it personally if you don't get much of a response. The Westside is tough and mostly salmon and steelhead with some concrete fish here and there when the truck comes by and dumps its load for the power baiters. If that's OK, then you might try to find out where they have stocked lately. Pay lakes, while pricey,
can be a ton of fun. You really need to cross the Cascades to find much. :thumb

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate to admit I went to Trophy lake a couple of weeks ago to get a big fish fix. While fishing ponds on a golf course it not my idea of a spiritual experience, I did hook into a number of large bows and it was close. But, at $12.50 per hour it's pricey. If you go bring midges, green worked well for me--no dry action--or buggers.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The Oly Pen and north Sound have the most magnificent rivers in the contiguous USA. Take your boy out casting on some great water, if he doesn't dig it, he's in for a long row to hoe in this area. The fish don't come easy, but the opportunity to catch something special, and the amazing setting, is what fishing the west side is all about.

·
1,411 Posts
I agree with your last reply. Try the South fork of the Snoqalamie, along the Twin Falls park trail, might give you some success around noontime if its' sunny out. I've fished it during the summertime with success using dries. I'm not sure during the winter though. I bet a tiny salmon egg pattern might do the trick. It worked for me on the Pilchuck a couple of weeks ago when I was going after steelhead. Landed and released a beautiful 12" bow (jack steelhead?) that day. As for the Yakima, check out the Worlybugger river report. They give great up to date info on how the river is doing. Good luck! :thumb

·
Registered
47 Posts
What-ever always means yes

You might try the Skookumchuck or the Dechutes around the town of Rainier. I'm not sure how well they fish this time of year but access is easy and there are some nice stretches of water around there.

Good luck, Brad :smokin

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am thinkin the Deschutes near Tenino. I will look on the map and see where ranier is.

That is close, and should do the trick

Then I am heading back to the peninsula.

THanks for all the good info - I may try the snoqualmie if I get too bored as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.