Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you guys fish the reiter ponds area. I hear of gear guys getting hatchery steelhead there but is there room for a fly fisherman to get in on the action, or is strictly combat fishing?

On another note has anyone fished the upper N. fork for steelhead. How high do they go up the river i know there are some falls on the N. fork. while thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I posted this same topic last week as I went to reiter on last tuesday. I have been to reiter maybe 30 times, but never with a fly rod. I now know why. It's way to hard to fly fish there, At least thats my opinion. first of all, it's always packed. I walked down from the creek and made a few casts in front on the first set of fast water. It still was tough. if you even try to cast a fly rod right in front of the hatchery, you're litteraly taking a huge risk. I see guys up there argueing every time I go, you even see a few with pistols on their hips. combat fishing at it's finest(or worstest?) Only blue creek on the cowlitz is worse. guys (bait casters) fish within 5 to 10 feet apart, thats on weekdays! the weekends, try like less the 5 feet. the other side of the river you ask? a. no room to back cast. b. the good water on that side is 10 feet out and 15 feet deep, not easy for even the fastest sinking line. I not against reiter in any way, as my father fishes it with his baitcaster 2-3 times a week. last week he hooked 5 fish and landed 2. he lost 2 fish to snagging other lines, he even landed one while it was snagged. last monday, three rafts came down the river, not fishing mind you, just rafting. dudes were screaming bloody murder at em, throwing rocks at em! all that I i'd still go back and due often, I just leave the flyrod at home. besides there is sweet water elsewhere that is perfect for a flyfisher on the sky. Go to highbridge and hike up or down the river and you'll find plenty of good water to toss a fly on! :THUMBSUP YT

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
After the area below the hatchery outlet opens the bait-chuckers abandon the Cable Hole, apparently in the belief that all of the fish are immediately below the hatchery. The Cable Hole is good holding water, big boulders on the bottom all the way down. Access is via the parking area on the north side of the highway a mile or so east of Zeke's Drive-In. Follow the trail north to the river opposite Reiter and make your way downstream about a quarter mile. A wading staff is a good idea.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I caught a summer run several years ago in the fast water below the Reiter Ponds pool on a floating line and a #6 skunk. The water is has an uneven flow so lots of mending is required for a good drift. You can also walk downstream to a couple riffles.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You can also access the cable hole from reiter road about 1/2 before the hatchery turn. their is a rock query? or something with a gate and a few places to park. there are a bunch of keep out signs, but a little risk can pay off with a reward. Cant tell ya how many times I snuck on to wierhousser property to fish lakes that don't exist on maps anymore...lets just say it was worth the risk. :THUMBSUP YT
oh ya, I've been fishin the sky for a lot time, one thing i've learned is that the hatchery fish go to the hatchery, but the natives go elsewhere. THEY GO UP, WAY UP - THINK ABOUT IT?????HMMM.......

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
This area is one that I fish alot with a fly.

As Preston said, fish it from the Hwy 2 side, you will see the turn out about 3/4 of a mile east of Zeeks. Like others have said, the Cable Hole is that one that I fish, just downstream of the Reiter Ponds Riot. If the ponds area is quiet, I will occasionally roll cast a fly out as I care on the way down.

I also really like this section of the river as a point to point hike, in at Reiter, then out at Proctor, and back to the car via Hwy 2. There's a good bit of good water on that hike, but plan to be out for 3 to 4 hours for it.

Rob

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I will only say that I have caught steelhead on a fly more than once at Reiter in places of shallow water where there were no bait slinging catch-n-keepers. Muddlers size 8 and 10 in brown and black on floating lines with 6wts. Love bonking those 5lb hatchery fish. And I'm really not a steelheader.

Randy

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

They go up river quite a ways. But be careful as parts of the N/Fork are closed Waters. You will need a map of the area so you can pinpoint the closed areas. 1000' below Bear Creek falls to Deer falls. I can find Bear creek falls on the map but can not find Deer falls on a map. I have and idea where it's at but it's just that,a idea. One more thing Bear Creek falls is not on the river, it's on Bear creek.

There are also dollies it the river and that is why I think that it is closed. But as usual I could be wrong.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.