Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my first Bauer two months ago, really loving it on my dry fly rod. I heard they were moving to Twin Bridges. Is John Bauer moving, too?
I don't know much about the newer models. I have the MSL, which is basically the same as the older M reel except lighter/more perforated reel, and a couple MZ's, which are awesome SW reels. The rogue looks like a nice reel but now discontinued. So what did you throw on your dry fly rig?

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I don't know much about the newer models. I have the MSL, which is basically the same as the older M reel except lighter/more perforated reel, and a couple MZ's, which are awesome SW reels. The rogue looks like a nice reel but now discontinued. So what did you throw on your dry fly rig?
I got a Mac 2, spooled up with Airflo Elite DT, on my Circa 589. It's fitting that my nicest setup does dry flies only. It's the kind of reel you don't even notice while fishing, just amazing.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a Mac 2, spooled up with Airflo Elite DT, on my Circa 589. It's fitting that my nicest setup does dry flies only. It's the kind of reel you don't even notice while fishing, just amazing.
That is probably the best description/review/award one could give to a fly reel. You don't even notice it while fishing. That's top gun or reel in this case !!!!

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Fond memories

My first, an M3 and spool, came in 95 or 96.. not long after the McKenzie was voted "best new reel" in major Fly Fishing Magazines. It was soon followed by an M4 and spool. Those two reels sold many more for Bauer. Anyone that looked at them instantly wanted one. Both totally problem free and still in service today. Joined by an MXP 3 that's still first string 6wt Trout reel, an MXP 4 for 7/8wt details, and a MX 5 for 10wt single hand or Spey use. Also had but parted with MX 6 and a M5

They used to include a hat with each new reel purchase. Mine is still with me ..easily ranking in top 3 "lucky hat" list. It's seen some travels and field time. Not just fishing.. hunting and range, travel and just casual wear.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Fin Road surface Fish Asphalt Requiem shark

My MacKenzie SuperLite MSL4 reel was my second Bauer and it has never had a maintenance issue after years of saltwater use. I also own a Bauer MZ4, which has a tremendous drag system capable of handling any species. More recently I have fished a CFX4 on my 7 weight and a Rogue 3 on my 6 weight. Both of these models have done great, handling long runs into the backing from big fish.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I have the MSL, which is basically the same as the older M reel except lighter/more perforated reel...
I believe the MSL, relative to the M, also has both an upgraded/updated engagement clutch and cork drag on the reel.

Bauter has been an overlooked and undermarketed reels for years. The tolerances and overall quality are superior to the offerings from many, if not nearly all, of their competitors, and the customer service is awesome. When you call a real live person, at the business location, answers the phone.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Thanks Porter. I am also a Bauer fan. Think Richard qualities as a Distributor, as I have some components from him. Hopefully Winston is a value add. I'd consider a green one for my WT 5, even though the Princess tough to beat.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
I once cashed in 110.00 worth of beer bottles and hit the road middle of night for a "North Channel" (Lake Huron, Ontario Canada water) back country tributary Id been introduced to the fall prior. It was known for Salmon.. not Steel. That a.m. -Easter morning- right at first hint of light I was bankside putting my waders on, not another soul or even track in sight. Started on a run that had treated me well in September for Salmon. A fish found my fly on third cast! Gorgeous dime bright hen.. continuing downstream connected me with a nice male just starting to color and an even bigger bright hen. Back to the truck and took a nap in the sun heated cab, still in waders. Fished upstream from there and was soundly beaten by a big colored Buck.. He went over the tailout and into rapids.. I popped the fly off trying to slow him. Got back in the truck and pulled out for home. Somewhere amidst all the clutter here are pics of those fish in shallows on the fine polished coin sized cobble. Second fly rod I'd ever purchased, 9'6" 7wt Orvis Silver Label with that M3 Bauer on the seat. One of my favorite memories from the early days. I'll always have a connection with Bauer reels.

Pic below of the MX 5 on a Scott ARC 1287 - December 28, breezy air temp 18* - water temp 34* F. Fish took a swung Sculpin.. I'd been there 2 days prior (MUCH warmer day) and was treated with two nice hens. Knowing there were some fish around couldn't resist going back. Reel got a workout and performed flawless.

Would be cool to see some more Bauer reels along side nice fish (Very cool DimeBright, thanks)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.