Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don’t usually write fishing reports but OMJ was whining about nobody writing reports so here’s one for Jim, not that I expect it will stop his bitchin’ or anything…

Last August, I tried (in vain) to catch a big cutthroat that rose to my fly in a big pool on an eastside river. I went back several times the next weekend and finally hooked it twice and nearly landed it but never actually got it to hand - until this weekend!

This has been my worst summer for fishing in a long time; with work commitments, family health issues, etc, it seems like the summer was over before it started for me. I just got home Saturday night after being mostly gone for work since the end of July. I set the alarm for dark o’thirty Sunday morning, got my gear ready and headed to bed. My drive was uneventful, though I was a little slower getting up and out than usual. I hit a couple of spots and while it was a beautiful warm, sunny day and I enjoyed being out on the river, it just didn’t feel like a fishy day. I got some small shakers in the 10”-12” range but nothing worth writing a report about. So, I took a break midday to visit a friend who’d been ill and to have some lunch together and then explored some back roads looking for access to some lakes I want to fish. I hoped that by late afternoon, the fishing would pick up but I ran into a buddy who always knows what’s happening on that river and he said it had been very slow for everyone. I looked at some new-to-me water but in the end, I headed back out to another run where I’ve hooked some good fish before; I got my hopes up a little as it was cloudy now and started to rain a little. However, other than one huge whitefish, it was mostly small rainbows again and I was looking for big cuttys.

Finally, it was late enough for me to return to a hole I hadn’t fished for a year. I still had dreams of a big cutty that rose like a torpedo from the deep to slash at my big fuzzy dry this same weekend last August. I ended up hooking it twice the next weekend but lost it both times. Now, one year later, I carefully approached the hole to see if anyone was still home and as I waited and watched, the big fish rose. Ah, this is what I’ve been looking for! I stealthily made my way to the top of the run and positioned myself as best I could behind some rocks. I tried several flies that worked last year, both dry and wet. Nothing, not even a smolt. I knew it was in there but had I not already seen it, I’d have been convinced the hole was sterile.

Although I was afraid that I’d put the fish down for the rest of the evening, I pawed through my box looking for something more tasty and I spied the fly I used to catch a huge 28" westslope cutthroat earlier this spring in the same river. I kept the fly as a souvenir meaning to retire it but I guess I'm greedy. I tied it on thinking "What the heck, it worked before", at the same time acknowledging that the time of year and water conditions were totally different. I didn't get my hopes up, it was more of a last ditch effort thing...

On the first pass through the pool with this fly, BAM, the indicator goes down solidly in one swift motion. I had to scramble down and around some rocks to get the fish out of the current into softer water as I knew it was big and didn't want to loose it again. This time, however, it was solidly hooked and I was able to land it - a big beautifully colored cutthroat. I released it without getting a picture as I was alone but it was easily the second biggest cutty I've caught on this river and it holds some big ones. It wasn't until I was walking back to the car that I realized that this was the same exact weekend I’d first rose it last year and thought that was pretty cool. Plus, using the same bug (one of my own creation) that I’d had used to catch a monster cutty this spring made it even more satisfying. I'm not sure if was the same fish from last August, but I got a kick out of thinking it might be the same fish, in the same hole, on the same weekend (one year later) and it was my bug that did the trick this time.

It was still raining on and off as I made my way back to the car, but I didn’t care as I was wet wading anyway and had a smile on my face. It was nearly dark and was time to grab some grub and warm up…ok, but I guess I’ll just fish this run by the car first…

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Fine report Sue - thanks for sharing!

K

·
Registered
648 Posts
Excellent post! You da man..er..woman!

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
It's always a pleasure to read fishing reports, especially the ones that caught fish, but there's something to be said about the ones that hold more value than just another day on the water. Thank you for sharing!

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I agreee and all of the above etc. a very good read.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well done ma'am....thanks!

Jcptyd

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just like I'm fishing it myself, especially from my desk at work. But doesn't a fish report supposed to include the name of the water you caught them from? I live in the SW corner of Wa so it's safe to tell me! I won't let you're secret out.

·
Just an Old Man
35,202 Posts
Good story. I'd be pissed if you told me the name of the creek,stream, or river. I don't need to know where you were I was there and did the same about 7 years ago.

I fished this little dry side creek a few years ago. The first time there I got about a 6" fish. The next year I was there it was about an 8" fish and the last time I was there it was about 12" long. The hole I was fishing in was about the size of a bucket and about as deep as one. It was right along side the road so who would think of the little stream hold anything.

It has been four years since I did any summer fishing ion Washington. Either the fish is gone or it died of old age since I wasn't there to play with it anymore.

But thanks again for your report.

Jim

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Great report, Sue! It's funny how that odd fly, that seems to have more mojo than appropriateness can sometimes do the trick.

--Dave E.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Without photographic evidence I might be inclined to not believe you, Freestone. However, having seen the photographic evidence of that 28" cuttie from earlier this year, I'll take your word for it that this second fish was a dandy. Great story- glad you're making up for a lost summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.