Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would assume by reading topflite's post that he never did catch any fish on Saturday at the Ford :p , only a ticket. I guess that leaves only myself to post how the fishing was }( .

Thanks to everyone who responded to the scud thread as it gave me some insight and it really worked.....forget the bunny lovin :* .
I hooked and landed the first hog shortly after arriving on a olive wtd scud #14. 3 more to follow over the next few hours, however the other 3 all broke my tippet right at the fly. Unfortunately I had lost my Orvis Tippet between the previous outing and this one so I had to use some "Climax tappered leader" from a local sports shop that was hidden deep in my vest. This stuff was a joke. I then tried some Maxima 8lb and had no takes after installing this cable for tippet.
Very small, yet strong, tippet 2X-4X and olive weighted scuds are my ticket. Pics to come shortly

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Patrick,

I was getting worried when I didn't see your report this morning. Glad to know you did get into some on the scuds. The leader issue sounds like a real problem or you would probably have attracted a few more. I always use 4x and plenty of it and on the bright days of summer go to 5x. I would think Maxima 8 lb. would spook many of them.

Was there much of a crowd?

Al::professor

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya you are correct on the 8lb maxima...I felt like a moron not having anything else to tie on...The fish would not even consider it with the maxima. I learn something every time I go out and from here on out m tippet selection is going to be vast. I might try it again this coming weekend just to prove my thoughts.:7 thanks for the input last week.

~Patrick ><>

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Ford fever

Next weekend too? Dr. he's been bitten by a scud! The only remedy is more fishing. Just be sure to bring more tippet material.
Congratulations on getting into them this time, Daddy-O wasn't there doing the retarded crane stance on the handicapped dock was he? So that means you caught more fish than he did...heh-heh.
Maybe I'll fire up Big Red and come over next weekend too. How was the weather?

Roper,

Truth above all

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford fever

Its the only place I have been able to catch a fish in the last few months LOL. Daddy-O had absolutely nothing all morning. I think it was because he fished too close to topflite and there may have been some corking abound ;-). We did not even hit the Daddy-O dock this time as the fishing appeared to be going our way where we were at. The weather was a bit nipply but other than that it was fine. let me know if you plan on heading over so we could meet up, just do not bring Mac and his bunnys this time. LOL

~Patrick ><>

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,110 Posts
Ford fever

Fercryingoutloud Pat, I've never seemed to have a problem with my 8lb maxima. Granted there is no way in "H" that I would ever tie up a scud on that stuff. hahaha Can't wait to see the pics of the 1 fish you did land. Glad you are hooked though. The ford is a fun place to get your big fish fix.

Mac

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Ford fever

The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

It's just outside of Ephrata off of hiway 17. I should say East of there. South of Soap Lake and north of Moses Lake. If you can find all of those places you can find Rocky Ford Creek.

Jim

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Ford fever

There was no corking going on at the ford!! Just because you supposedly landed one fish that no one saw, isn't proof.

Ya and I landed 40 after you left. lol Actually I had a couple of LDR's nothing else.

Sure you got me this time, we will have to do it again, but this time make sure there are no barbs on you fly. Actually if dad and I left when we were planning on it, none of this mess would have happened.

I bow to your 1 fish

josh

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
hey P-owens, the 8 pound maxima is a bit much dude. Only freaks like Rowdy use that crap.lol anyway, dude, buy some 5x fluoro and give it a whirl. Hey topflight, there was no "corking" cause I wasn't there!! But back to master P(owens that is) get some 5x 9ft leaders with a fluoro tippet dude. dude, trust me. But dude, this is basic, you should know this already, dude? where is this photo dude, I want to see it dude. :smokin YT

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
dude, not a problem. I've been using SA leaders, but have switched to Cortland recently. Rio is good stuff(I think). It's all about the knots. test your knots first. anybody who fishes with me, knows how I am very very perticular about knots. I'll tie 5 knots, breaking them all until I get it just right. The upside, I NEVER break knots on fish, EVER! I tie a knot, test it, break it, start over until its perfect. I'll spend 20 minutes tying knots before I hit the water. Knots must be perfect or I don't trust it. ya, I'm a nut. :beathead YT

·
1,110 Posts
Yes, YT you are a nut and you suck at tying knots. hahahaha

Pat, use rio leaders but break that shiz off around 3x and tie your tippet from there on down. I think the good flouro is climax or something like that. I hooked up with some amazing 5x at Kaufmanns a few months ago and I love it. Ties killer knots.

MacRowdy

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
first off, never ever listen to Rowdy. Break it off at 3X? what the heck? MAc, are you mentally challenged or something? that defeats the whole point. Tying 3x to 5x is like, well, hmmm......stupid. tie 5x to 5x like your sopposed to. Rowdy, I'm gonna have to slap you. again.:smokin YT

·
1,110 Posts
Exactly Jim, And my whole point is that the Rio 4x (that the leader tapers down to) is crap. In fact I think all of them are crap. So I snip the line just where I notice it jumping up an X ifyaknowhatimsaying. And then I tie the tippet on from there down. You know, 4x then 5x flouro for scuddin. Ah hell I guess I might as well just start making all my own leaders. :professor

Hey ******, slap on Slappy McSlapperson. You might not like me but your "Grammy" sure does. :dunno

Mac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.