Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a final research essay i have to do in my english class. It has to have a specific argument related to the theme of the course which is humans and nature. You guys have any ideas for a topic? I was thinking something along the lines of wilderness area and human encroachment and stuff

·
Donny, you're out of your element...
4,500 Posts
Does English mean reading Literature as it did when I was in school, or is it some new fangled plain old writing course? If it is the former here are some ideas.

Why not study three of Hemingway's Nick Adams stories and compare and contrast how nature plays a role as a backdrop in Nick's life as it changes from a young man to an ambulance man during the war to his return home after the war. You could play up the contrast between human nature and the nature of the natural world and how they evolve...

Maybe even more focused, what is it about Nature in Hemingway's Snows of Kilamanjaro that serves as the backdrop...

Maybe less focused but way more fun and less stodgy:

Magical realism as a way for authors to use animals as ways to deliver metaphors and salvation try Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Rao by Junot Diaz (Golden Mongoose) or Life of Pi by Yann Martel (Big ass tiger) , or some of deBerniers works like the cats in The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts (bizarre magical cats)

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
How about trying to show the benefit from angling, (stewardship, conservation, political involvement) outweighing the negative impact. Even careful C&R can still kill wild fish. But I'd bet most serious anglers are WAY more involved with positive impact on the resource than those trying to paint us in a bad light. Good luck!
Jason

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
How about something on man-made fish barriers on streams. Humans have had a lot to do with limiting access of fish to their historic ranges. I was working on a stream today that a guy had told me he had caught "dog salmon" in when he was a kid. The same stream now crosses 13 county roads, a state highway, and a major rail line. Most, if not all, are fish barriers. There are still resident trout in the system though.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Exempt water rights (Kittatas Vally), fish farms in BC, stream access laws in the West, Pebble Mine / Legacy of Mining throughout the west, storm water and water quality effects of urbanization, the Howard Hansen Dam it's effect on the hydrology of the river.... I have a bunch and a mega-load of peer-reviewed academic journal articles for most things water related if you can't find something. Fish hatcheries...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Rory,
My suggestion is to explore the reasons humans (or perhaps western civilization) have allowed their environment to be consumed and so polluted. What is it about humans that puts short term survival before long term survival? Why are we so near sighted?
:hmmm:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
How about identifying the "stuff" you speak of. English Composition is about expressing one's self on a given topic and "stuff, things, and junk" need to be identified in good writing. The topic isn't so important as is how you express your thouights about it; just my two cents as a teacher.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.