Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fly fishing bait-allowed lakes can a fly fisherman catch and release beyond the retention limit? Said differently, if the bait-allowed lake has a two fish limit, do you need to quit fishing when you have released two fish?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Not sure. I should think or hope the answer to be yes however only because bait caught fish have a much higher mortality when released.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once you have caught AND KEPT a limit, you cannot continue to C&R, but if you are releasing, there's no limit.
I agree with you and Jim. But, FSA makes a good point and I can not find specific language in the regs to back up your statement. I hope you are right or I have been braking the law for over 40 years!

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Once you have caught AND KEPT a limit, you cannot continue to C&R, but if you are releasing, there's no limit.
So you can bait catch and release all day long, then just keep a couple at quitting time? I use to work the kids trout pond at Steel Lake (TU function) for years... I have to believe most released trout don't survive. Good I suppose if you're the trout farmer.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmmm, did find this:

In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released.

I don't think fly fishermen would get privileges?????????

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hmmmmm, did find this:

In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released.

I don't think fly fishermen would get privileges?????????
It's not just fly fishermen. Any fisherman that is using a lure (see page 11 in regs pamphlet for definition of a lure) can catch and release as many fish as they want.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
It also depends on where the fish is hooked. Technically speaking, a fish hooked in the tongue or gills regardless of method must also be counted toward you limit. But otherwise if you use bait or scent of any kind a fish caught is counted toward your limit period. If you are fishing artificial you can catch and release unless you choose to keep up to your limit. At that point you are done.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are fishing artificial you can catch and release unless you choose to keep up to your limit

can catch and release as many fish as they want.

You guys are saying it and so am I, but I still don't see it in print!

·
Topwater and tying.
520 Posts
Washington regs. Page 14 under "Bait Rules" heading.

"Where use of bait is prohibited, or where lures or flies are used voluntarily, Game Fish may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained. If any fish has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue, it should be kept if legal to do so."

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
It didn't, it was about trusting the audience. The answer was simple and it just took awhile for someone less lazy to post up the actual regs. The regs are fine the way they are.
What does "trusting the audience" have to do with it? There has been plenty of comment, over numerous threads, about how confusing the fishing regulations have become... just seems like they shouldn't have to be.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
What does "trusting the audience" have to do with it? There has been plenty of comment, over numerous threads, about how confusing the fishing regulations have become... just seems like they shouldn't have to be.
I don't think the regulations are confusing. I can see how others might like to clarify, but for the most part they already know the answer before their query. Reading comprehension at a high school level is ample to find the answers you need. I also understand the some people could easily find the answers they seek, but they know that others here know already, so this is a more efficient process to ask. It is not the regs freestone, it is the readers.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If you are fishing artificial you can catch and release unless you choose to keep up to your limit

can catch and release as many fish as they want.

You guys are saying it and so am I, but I still don't see it in print!
GT, you did see it in print and actually posted the rules:

Not using bait, not keeping any fish, no limit. Limit only come into play if you're keeping fish and/or using bait.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.