Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lizzy bought me an 8136-4 Redington Chromer for Xmas. She picked it out with no assistance from me. Finally took the time to cast it last night for the first time.

I have been a bit worried, ever since it was given to me that it would be very fast. I don't particularly enjoy fast rods anymore. They cast fine, but I prefer a bend-to-the-cork rod because it feels like it has more personality, or soul. This rod was paired with a 575 long Skagit. It loads great, and to the cork.

I Felt moved to play around with my grip last night a couple casts in. Normally I hold my top hand 2-4" above the reel. As I slid my hand up farther on a couple of consecutive casts, the rod just kept loading deeper and deeper. It took on that zen/liquid feeling of constant smooth fluidic motion. This took place both in the rotations of the line and rod around the cork while changing direction for anchor relocation, and in the loading and unloading during the cast. At the pause at the end of the forward stroke of the cast, at the termination of the bottom hand forward bump, I became the spectator. I would reflect on how the changes in form gave life to this piece of string.

Each consecutive cast I peeled off another three or four arm lengths of running line. After seven or eight casts the end of the 90' piece I had loaded the reel with, tickled the end of the rod.

In essence, the rod came to life on the first outing, with the first line cast on it. Each cast got better, and I began to smile more and more.

Afterwards we went and watched the Perseid meteor shower for a few hours. As I lay there Watching something visually amazing, my mind kept taking daydreaming breaks to again revel in experiencing the perfect liquid feeling of the casting from earlier.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Lizzy bought me an 8136-4 Redington Chromer for Xmas. She picked it out with no assistance from me. Finally took the time to cast it last night for the first time.

I have been a bit worried, ever since it was given to me that it would be very fast. I don't particularly enjoy fast rods anymore. They cast fine, but I prefer a bend-to-the-cork rod because it feels like it has more personality, or soul. This rod was paired with a 575 long Skagit. It loads great, and to the cork.

I Felt moved to play around with my grip last night a couple casts in. Normally I hold my top hand 2-4" above the reel. As I slid my hand up farther on a couple of consecutive casts, the rod just kept loading deeper and deeper. It took on that zen/liquid feeling of constant smooth fluidic motion. This took place both in the rotations of the line and rod around the cork while changing direction for anchor relocation, and in the loading and unloading during the cast. At the pause at the end of the forward stroke of the cast, at the termination of the bottom hand forward bump, I became the spectator. I would reflect on how the changes in form gave life to this piece of string.

Each consecutive cast I peeled off another three or four arm lengths of running line. After seven or eight casts the end of the 90' piece I had loaded the reel with, tickled the end of the rod.

In essence, the rod came to life on the first outing, with the first line cast on it. Each cast got better, and I began to smile more and more.

Afterwards we went and watched the Perseid meteor shower for a few hours. As I lay there Watching something visually amazing, my mind kept taking daydreaming breaks to again revel in experiencing the perfect liquid feeling of the casting from earlier.
I've got a 7130-4 and really like it. I bought it on ebay for a song and that makes it better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.