Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 18' Trophy bayliner that's been well cared for. I have heard questions in the past about their overall durability/reliability, in particular their hull construction. I'm going to have my mechanic take a look at it but was wondering if anyone has any experience with Trophy boats. Thanks for your help.

Johannes

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
When I lived in P-cola two of my neighbors had Tropy boats. Those boats were almost always in the water and other than some cleanup and upkeep I can't recall either of them being out of service. It was awesome to be they guy with two friends with great boats. I had to bring a lot of lunches/launch fees and some gas but never had to worry about not having my own boat. If your mechanic gives it a clean bill of health and you need a friend to take fishing...just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Is your mechanic a auto mechanic or marine mechanic?. Is this a I.O or O.B powered? Genrally trophys are fine boats, as with any hull it all depends on how many holes have been drilled into it. A little dab of silicone dosent seal them holes. If an O.B do a compression check/ check lower unit oil clean? press/vaccum test the seals. I.O check the u-joint bellows check the drive oil pressure/vacuum test it. Manifolds are 9 years old/coolers are 9 years ols. Etc etc etc. I've been in the boat bizz for over 25 years allway watch out for the good deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be my boat mechanic that will take a look and as you mentioned, watch out for the good deal! I haven't had a chance to personally see the boat but it has low hours and a good owner. Appreciate the heads up about the things to look out for on older outboards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.