Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i fished the yakima south of cle elum and while i was fishing i noticed what seemed like almost a hundred ribbons hung in the trees on the banks. i waded over to look and some had numbers and dates on them. my first thought was that they were trash and should come down, but then i thought that not your average ******* would go to the trouble to hang so many and date them. some where from as late as the 26th of this month. i thought maybe there was some sort of study going on. does any body have any knowledge of this? is there any plans to remove these ribbons? if left after they have served their purpose they will be litter. thought i might try to find out something. jer :DUNNO

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
They used to do this years ago as well... To the best of my knowledge it was a game department boat floating the river, or someone working for the game department, who would catch fish and tag the location where it was caught. Then someone would come behind them and track the findings. They also used to tag fish in the Yakima, but haven't seen that for years.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
"It's too mark where the salmon laid there eggs!!"

I was in Cle Elum on saturday. Dead salmon everywhere! I ran into A guy who was fishing with two WDFW Biologists and they told me the situation and to keep clear on the ribbons. Walking near and around the ribbins could harm the eggs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.