Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Rio Gripshooter line for a trip to Vancouver Island the last two weeks. I mostly fished for Coho and occasional Chum on bigger Rivers. After about 20 fish, the olive grip running line coating started coming off the core line.

I fished with it a few more days by just cutting it off. Is there a reason for this? I need to replace it, but am not sure Rio is the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did Rio say ? I have found them to stand behind their products (they even 2nd day air replaced a skagit head for me that was defective because i was leaving on a trip).
I just got into the states , so I haven't called them yet. It is good to hear they stand by their products.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Rio has good customer service on their lines.
Unfortunately, I know that because of how many times I've had to use it.
SF

·
Have you swung a fly today?-
480 Posts
One thing I do not like about Lazur line ...knots tangles a lot when shooting long casts .... everything else I like . 3 or 4 big loops and it will tangle

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Several run lines aren't that large of diameter.. if they were I wouldn't be using them. Airflo Ridge, both 30lb and 20 is like a tow rope. Nothing over .032 for me please.

I've got a .024 RIO Powerflex with a shit ton of hours on it (4 season use) and still going strong.

If you like the newer "Connect Core" (.026) but don't care for the oversized "handling Section" there's a quick cure.. simply reverse it. One of the solid plans of the last decade.. put large tactical loop on both ends of the running line. Why doesn't everybody do this?

·
Inglorious Twohander
112 Posts
Several run lines aren't that large of diameter.. if they were I wouldn't be using them. Airflo Ridge, both 30lb and 20 is like a tow rope. Nothing over .032 for me please.

I've got a .024 RIO Powerflex with a shit ton of hours on it (4 season use) and still going strong.

If you like the newer "Connect Core" (.026) but don't care for the oversized "handling Section" there's a quick cure.. simply reverse it. One of the solid plans of the last decade.. put large tactical loop on both ends of the running line. Why doesn't everybody do this?
I do that, to 40# Berkleez big game when I spool up a fresh 86 cent section on a reel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.