Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just got a Rio Outbound Short for my CPX 1066-4 and was wondering about the speed loop connection...

I usually fish a shorter leader with a sink-tip line and it seems like the loop-loop connection is a bit bulky... thinking about cutting the loop and going straigh nail knot for a more streamlined transition...

any advice? thanks!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You won’t really harm anything by chopping the loop off. I agree that the loop is a bit bulky but really how long of a leader are you running on a line like that? Will it ever get anywhere near the tip of your rod?
If you prefer nail knots go ahead.
Anil

·
Love vintage graphite!
1,125 Posts
That's what I do Jocko. I used to use the loop-to-loop connection but I've gone back to my old ways. I cut the loops off my lines and connect about 18" of .022" Maxima to the tip with a needle nail knot. Then I cut about 12" off the butt end of my leaders and do a nail knot splice to this 18" section. I secure these knots with a little UV knot sense. It's all very streamlined and slips through the guides like butta! And just for the record...since I had a fish take me into the backing a few times I also use a needle nail knot to secure the backing to the fly line.

Lonnie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.