Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tell me how this line is compared to an Outbound Short. Does it cast any better? Thank you.

DFL

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,757 Posts
For really big flies, I prefer the OBS when comparing just those two. I've had longevity issues with both. I really prefer Airflo Sniper to OBS though, but that's just personal preference to the feel of the line, they essentially do the same thing, turn over absurdly large flies.

·
Registered
483 Posts
For really big flies, I prefer the OBS when comparing just those two. I've had longevity issues with both. I really prefer Airflo Sniper to OBS though, but that's just personal preference to the feel of the line, they essentially do the same thing, turn over absurdly large flies.
I see on the Airflo website that the Sniper line is for cold saltwater...do you have any issues with its performance on the warmer water Esox haunts here in the PNW?

Thanks....

Jim B.

·
5,757 Posts
no issues at all (with either OBS or Sniper in that regard). Then again, I don't think any of the water I've been fishing has ever been much warmer than 75F or so (air temps have been in the 90s at times and still no issues). I've never taken a temp though, (so that's a best guess--we all know how those go)...something I'll likely do this year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would like to persue bass/ Muskie this year and have tied some big stuff and tried casting with an 8wt, SA mastery series line, didn't work well. I've always used that line for steelhead and cast just fine.Would the Sniper line be a good choice for an 8wt, or do I have to step up to a 10wt setup?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The Rio musky line is so so. I'm not impressed. The outbound short is A better line IMHO. The sniper is also a great line. My favorite is a wulff cold salt in a twelve weight. I'm casting those lines on ten and eleven WT rods. I'm a total line geek for Musky and tried them all. The other good ones are the 40+ clear and the Titan taper by sa.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Are you guys generally fishing floating, intermediate, sink, etc? Would an 8wt with 8wt OBS intermediate get it done if I don't get too crazy with the flies?

·
5,757 Posts
In all of my single year of doing this, I've mostly used an intermediate (I have a 375gr OBS and I like ok & a 425gr Sniper that I really like, but it's a tad heavy for my rod). I can fish subsurface and poppers with the intermediate. I've also used a Teeny T-400 a time or two but the areas I've been fishing just aren't deep enough to make it worthwhile. I've never used a floater.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
In all of my single year of doing this, I've mostly used an intermediate (I have a 375gr OBS and I like ok & a 425gr Sniper that I really like, but it's a tad heavy for my rod). I can fish subsurface and poppers with the intermediate. I've also used a Teeny T-400 a time or two but the areas I've been fishing just aren't deep enough to make it worthwhile. I've never used a floater.
That's what I was hoping to hear! I kind of imagined them being in "intermediate" water, but I have no clue what I'm talking about. haha

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I would like to persue bass/ Muskie this year and have tied some big stuff and tried casting with an 8wt, SA mastery series line, didn't work well. I've always used that line for steelhead and cast just fine.Would the Sniper line be a good choice for an 8wt, or do I have to step up to a 10wt setup?
Yes the sniper is fantastic. A ten will help you out allot and keep casting chickens with cats attached pleasurable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.